Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Walnut Raisin Bread

Lately, I was too engross in the buttercream flowers, hence, I didn't have time for baking except this Walnut Raisin bread.  I baked this because my daughter was craving for homemade bread.  With hadn't been baking bread for a while, I felt I was quite "rusty". Luckily, I was still able to make it.   

I picked a recipe from a Taiwanese baker, Carol.  The original recipe used  matcha and red bean as flavoring agents.  As I didn't have these at home, I substituted them with walnut and raisin.  In fact, I'm not a matcha fan, I don't like the aftertaste of green tea.  I was glad that the combination of walnut and raisin turned out good for this bread.  

If you like to give my recipe a try, here you go...

Walnut Raisin Bread

Ingredients:
  • 230g bread flour
  • 15g cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp instant yeast 
  • 30g caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg (about 50g)
  • 110g cold milk 
  • 30g unsalted butter
  • 150g walnuts
  • 80g raisins 
  • egg yolk for egg wash
Methods:
  1. Combine the flours,  yeast, sugar, salt and egg (salt and yeast to be placed apart from each other) in a bowl and mix them on low speed till combined.
  2. Add in 90g of the cold milk gradually, mix till desired dough is achieved.
  3. Add in butter gradually, mix on medium speed.  Add in remaining 20g of milk gradually and mix till windowpane is achieved (about 13 mins) 
  4. Remove the dough from mixing bowl, add in walnuts and raisins, mix evenly and then round it to ball.  
  5. Place the dough (seam side face down) in a greased bowl, spray with some water and cover it with plastic wrap.  Leave it to ferment for 1 hour or till the size becomes double.
  6. Remove the dough from the bowl, dust some flour on the table top (if needed), slightly punch to deflate the dough.  Divide dough into 2 and round them into ball again. Cover with baker's couch and bench rest for 15 mins.
  7. Take out the dough for final shaping. Flatten the dough with a small rolling pin, fold the top and roll into cylinder shape. Repeat the same for remaining dough.  Cover with baker's couch and bench rest for another 15 mins.
  8. Fatten the dough and roll into rectangle shape.  Ensure its width can fit into the Pullman loaf tin. Fold the top and roll gently into cylinder shape.  Repeat the same for another dough.   Place into a greased Pullman loaf tin with seam side down. Ensure both dough are the same height, spray with some water and leave it to proof for another hour or till it raises to 90% of tin.
  9. Egg wash and bake at 170*C for 35-40 mins.  Once done, take it out from pan immediately and let it cool on wire rack. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails