Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Yam Chiffon Cake

I am a Teochew ah nia, a true blue Teochew as both my parents are Teochew.   Though Teochew is my dialect, I could not speak well.  Every time when I speak to my mum, I have to mix with Mandarin and English to complete the conversation.  If my mum couldn't  understand what I was trying to say, I had to seek help from my sister-in-laws or my brothers to translate.  It's kind of embarrassing but given the environment today, it's hard to brush up. Both my daughters cannot appreciate dialect especially my younger daughter, she totally cannot understand, not even a simple word.
There is no doubt we should preserve our heritage but our school education system doesn't allow dialect plus the government doesn't encourage, it's the matter of time dialect will become extinct which is sad.

Back to the yam, I love to eat my mum's yam dishes.  I like to buy yam from supermart but every time, I don't know how to cook as a dish.  This is because my hubby and daughters don't appreciate any yam dishes except Orh Nee (yam paste).   Orhe Nee is only nice if we eat a small portion, it'll be too rich and very unhealthy for a big portion.

Hence, if I buy a yam, I need to think about ways to use it.  This time, I use 40% of the yam to make 2 types of yam cakes, i.e.  (1) Yam Ogura and (2) Yam Chiffon Cake, and the remaining is used for Orh Nee. 

For the Yam Ogura, I adopted Jeannie's recipe.   For this bake, I used 60g of mashed yam with 1/2 tsp of yam paste instead of 60g milk and 2 Tbsp yam emulco, the cake turned out moist, fluffy and soft in texture, however, it's less flavorful to me.  I prefer stronger taste.  
Every time, I make changes to someone's recipe, I am quite worried about the turnout.  If the modified version doesn't come out good, I will have a problem to dispose of them.  I don't like to give "unsatisfied" product to people. With this in mind,  I decided to use my previous Yam Chiffon recipe for next bake so that I could clear some of the remaining yam.   I was glad that the cake turned out well, i.e. soft, tall, fluffy, moist but I think the sugar can be cut down slightly to reduce the sweetness.

If you like yam cake,  please find below recipe.

Yam Chiffon Cake recipe

Egg yolk Mixture Ingredients:
- 150g mashed Yam (steam and mash it) 
- 25g fresh milk                                             
- 100g coconut milk 

- 5 egg yolks (65g each egg)
- 40g castor sugar  (this can cut down to 25-30g)

- 1/5 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. Yam Paste (from phoon huat)
- 50 ml. cooking oil
- 135g Cake/Top flour } sift together
- 1/3 tsp baking powder }

Egg White Ingredients
- 6 egg white
- 85 gm. Castor Sugar

Preparation: Preheat oven at 165*C for 15 mins.  Prepare two 15cm (6" diameter) x 10cm (4" height) tube pans.

Method:

  1. Add fresh milk to mashed yam,  mix till smooth and then add in coconut milk, mix till combined and set aside.
  2. In another bowl, mix the egg yolk and sugar together, mix till sugar dissolved.  Add in yam mixture from step 1 and mix till combined.
  3.  Add in salt, yam paste, and then oil.  Mix till combined.
  4. Fold in flour and baking powder, mix till smooth.   Set aside.
  5. Use a mixer,  whisk the egg whites till frothy, gradually add in sugar,  whisk and stabilise (about 3 mins)  till medium (firm) peak form.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue to egg mixture from step 4, mix till almost combined.
  7. Repeat the same for remaining 2 portions, fold in the meringue lightly until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into two 15cm (6" diameter) x 10cm (4" height) tube pans and fill to 70% full. Tap on the table to release bubbles.
  9. Bake in a preheated oven at 165*C for 15 mins and 160*C for 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
  10. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table till it cools down.    
  11. Remove cake from pan and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails