Sunday, February 26, 2017

Strawberry Shortcake

Am I crazy?  Baked 3 cakes in a day.  Am I in the business of selling cakes?  
No! No! I wasn't crazy and not doing business.  I only baked for family/friends, and for fun.

After I posted my baked product photos on social media, some friends asked when I could take the order. Hmm.. I am currently on a break before my next level of the certificate program (advance certificate in baking and pastry), hence, I don't want to do any business stuff for the time being.  

I am using my break to brush up my baking skills since I stopped for 3 years.  In this two months, I am glad that with the concerted effort, I managed to refresh and improve my baking skills.   I baked at least 5 items a week,  I also explored many new recipes. 

In addition, I learned a lot from the baking community. The people there taught me a lot, they are so willing to share tips.  Now, I am more confident in my baked products but I am still not satisfied with my cake decoration skill.  This is something I need to practise more.
  
I brought the Strawberry Shortcake to a lunch meeting to share with friends, they all liked it.  I do like this cake as well, although it's layered with whipped cream, it doesn't taste too creamy and sweet. 

This is one of my favourites.  The light & spongy texture filled with the whipped cream and strawberries makes this a perfect treat for any occasion.   
Want to bake for an occasion?  Why not give this a shot!

Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Ingredients:
- 1  6" sponge cake (slice into 3 layers) - you can follow the sponge cake recipe as in this post but cut half of the ingredients

- 1/2 tsp gelatin      } mix together and microwave
- 1/2 Tbsp water    }

- 300 ml whipping cream (dairy cream)
- 1  1/4  tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Kirsh + 3/4 tsp vanilla essence

- 100 ml top whipping cream (non-dairy cream)
-  250g strawberries (keep 5  and the rest slice into 4 pcs)


Method 
1. Mix gelatin and water, let it sit for 1 mins and then microwave for 12-15 sec.  Set aside.
2. Whip cream (under ice water) and sugar on medium-high until soft peak form (70% peak). Add in kirsch and vanilla essence, mix well. 
4.  Add in gelatine from step 1, mix well.  Set aside.
5. Cut sponge cake into 3 layers.
6. Spread 1/7 of the whipped cream to the 1st layer (bottom layer). Line with strawberries and spread another 1/7 of the cream over.
7.  Place in the 2nd layer of the cake, repeat the same as step 6.  
8.  Place the top layer of cake over, spread remaining whipped cream over the top layer and all sides. 
9.  Let the cake freeze for 3-4 hours or overnight to set.
10. Whip top whipping cream, cover the whole cake and decorate as desired. Chill for at least another 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails