Monday, February 20, 2017

Pandan Sponge Cake

I always envy those bakers who can bake sponge and chiffon cakes so perfectly, i.e. so smooth,  so fine and no air pocket.  Despite how many times I tried, I still cannot achieve to that level. 
Sometimes,  I could not replicate all the steps stipulated in the recipe because I didn't have some of the baking stuff or tools at home.  I could only substitute with whatever available on hand.  Haha .. this could be my lame excuse to justify my failure. 

That's ok.  Though it's disappointing, that gives me the push to work harder - get trying!

Pandan sponge or chiffon cake is considered as a simple cake but it's well loved by many people. It's light, moist and healthier as compare to those rich cake.  I was amazed by one of the posts by Jeannie and wanted to challenge myself.

Instead of using a 8" round pan, I deviated as I wanted smaller cake.  I used one 7" round pan and another 5" round pan.  I didn't complete the last hour (stopped at 50 mins) as both cakes were fully cooked. However, the 5" had a crack line on top, I believe the pan was too small for it. Overall, the texture was very good, spongy & not too moist.  I was quite happy with the outcome but I still couldn't achieve the fine/ smooth texture without air pockets.   The expert, Jeannie advised that I had overbeaten the meringue, over stiff. Good lesson learned!  I will try not to make the same mistake again.

Do hop over to Jeannie's blog for the original recipe.  My recipe below:

Pandan Sponge cake 
Texture and flavour: This cake is so delightful and pandan flavorful that they can be eaten without or without adornment.  It's light, airy with a spongy texture and not too moist. 

Ingredients (for 
one 7" round and one 5" round pan or one 8" round pan):
- 50g pandan juice (1/2 super thick + 1/2 dilute)
- 50g coconut milk (35g coconut cream + 15g milk)

70g corn oil

- 100g cake flour
Pinch of salt

- 6 eggs yolks (about 100g)

- 6 eggs whites (about 210g)
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 85g sugar (cut down 15g from original recipe)


Preparation:  Line the base. Grease sides for easier unmoulding.   
                         Preheat oven to 190C.

Method:
1.  Mix pandan juice and coconut together.  Mix well and set aside.
2. Microwave oil for 45 sec, add in flour and salt.  Stir until smooth.
3. Add in the coconut pandan juice from step 1 and stir until combined.  At this stage,  the batter will become thick and lumpy.
4. Add in egg yolks one at a time, whisk until the batter is smooth and runny. Set aside.
5. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy, add cream of tartar or lemon juice,  whisk at medium-high speed till soft peak.  Add in sugar a little at a time and whisk on high speed till firm (peak) stage (abt another 1 mins).  Don't overbeat.
6. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter from step 4 and mix gently till combined. Repeat the same for 2 more rounds,  mix gently till combined.
7. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 185C for 15 minutes and then lower down to 145*C for another 55-60 mins or until the skewer inserted comes out clean. 
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails