Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Japanese Cheesecake

Between Japanese Cheesecake and New York Cheesecake, I will prefer the latter.  Though I don't fancy dense and rich cake, Japanese Cheesecake is too light and moist for me.
 
Then why I baked?  It's to challenge myself as I hadn't been able to bake a smooth Japanese Cheesecake.  I had seen many successful examples from the folks in the baking community.   With my upgraded skill lately, I think I should be able to conquer this challenge.  In order not to repeat the same blunder, I went through Dr Leslie's post and tips thoroughly. 

I didn't follow 100% of his instruction and advice as my old habits die hard or probably I trusted my own instincts.  Phew, the cake came out almost there, though not perfect, the texture was fine, no big air pockets.  The only flaw was some wrinkles appeared on the top.  Based on Dr Leslie, it seems to be normal.   The advice is to glaze it immediately out from the oven before it turns wrinkly.

This recipe calls for 1 tsp of lemon zest, I think this can be cut down to 1/4 tsp or omitted totally as the lemon zest taste is overpowering and sharp.  
One thing to note: I used two 6" round pans but this recipe seems to be too much for it.  I realised that some experts had modified his recipe with 1 egg less and the result looks perfect.  I think I will adopt the modified recipe instead.


Below recipe is for my future baking reference.

Ingredients:-
250g cream cheese - cut cube and double boil
- 60g butter (cut cube)
50g caster sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
100ml milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (cut down 1 from original recipe)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice ( omit lemon zest)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g cake flour
- 20g corn flour

- 5 large egg whites
- 70g caster sugar
- a drop of lemon juice

Preparation:  
-  Prepare Two 6″ round baking pan. Line the bottom and dust the sides with flour.  Get ready Two 8″ round baking pan for water bath.
- Preheat oven at 200*C for 15 mins.

Method:-

1.  Melt cheese and butter over a double boiler and whisk until smooth.   Add sugar, whisk until dissolved.  
2.  Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well each addition.  
Add milk,  vanilla, lemon juice, salt and mix well. 
3.  Remove from double boiler, gently whisk in the flours and mix well. Set aside.
4.  
Use a mixer,  whisk the egg whites on medium-low speed till frothy (30 sec), add a drop of lemon juice and beat at high speed till bubbles become very small but still visible.  Add sugar a little at a time, beat till just soft peaks (ribbon stage only) 
5. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture from step 3, mix till almost combined.
Repeat the same for remaining 2 portions, fold in the meringue lightly until well combined.
6. Pour batter into two 6" round pans and fill up to 1.5cm (80%) from the rim. (based on the expert, the batter should rise not more than 1 cm).  Tap on the table to release bubbles.  The batter should be very runny that doesn't require to smoothen the surface.
7.  Waterbath bake on the bottommost rack in the following sequence.
  • 200*C for 15-18 mins until top is golden brown
  • 160*C for 15 mins
  • Switch off the oven with closed door,  leave it for another 30 mins
  • Remove and unmould when the cake has pulled away from the side of the pan.
  • Switch on the own again and set at 100*C.  Bake the cake standing on a piece of baking paper for last 10 mins (optional step to dry the sides of the cake)
8.  Open the oven door ajar and let the cake cool in the oven for another 30 mins before removing.  Apply a thin layer of glaze to maintain a smooth surface.  
9.  Chill for  3-4 hour before slicing.
    

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails