Saturday, February 4, 2017

Butter Sponge Cake

I was amazed by how perfect the Butter Sponge Cake shared by Jeannie Tay.  Her cakes are always so spongy, smooth and no big air pocket at all.   Somehow, till now, I still cannot master it. If I was lucky, I made it but many a time,  I flopped. 
I reckon, if I use my handheld mixer to make meringue, the cake always turns out with air pockets.  It could be the speed control feature of the handheld mixer is not sensitive.   Every time, when I tried to stabilize the meringue and I switch the speed to lowest but somehow, there was no much different from medium or high speed.  Because of this problem, the meringue was over beaten and hit to the peak.  Once the meringue is hardened, it's very difficult to mix well, as a result, it led to many air bubbles. 

In fact, I've a Kenwood Mixer but it is under utilized.   I used the handheld mixer often because it was more handy.    In the past, I was not so particular of the air pockets since it's cosmetic but now, I want to perfect my cake.   After all the lousy experiences with my handheld mixer,  it's time to fully use my Kenwood mixer.

 This butter sponge cake is quite plain but the texture is very good, so spongy and soft.   It's not too sweet as well.  I believe if it's spread with some frosting or garnish (eg. cheesecake or buttercream or whipped cream or chocolate), it should taste delicious.


Want to bake?  Recipe below.

Butter Sponge Cake
Recipe adapted from Jeannie's Butter Chiffon Cake with slight modification.

Ingredients:

  • 60g Salted butter 
  • 85g Cake flour                     } sift together
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder     }
  • 60g milk
  • 4 egg yolks (from 65g eggs)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 egg whites
  • 75g caster sugar

Preparation: Preheat oven to 160*C with water bath.    7" round pan bottom lined with parchment paper.

Method:

  1. Melt butter in microwave for 40 sec,  pour into flour mixture (flour and baking powder) and mix well with a spatula.
  2. Add milk, egg yolks and vanilla extract one addition at a time, mix well and set aside.
  3. Use a mixer,  whisk the egg whites till frothy , gradually add in sugar and whisk and stabilize (about 3 mins)  till medium peak form.
  4. Sacrifice some meringue to dilute the yolk batter from step 2 and then fold in 1/3 of the meringue until almost combined.
  5. Repeat the same for remaining 2 portions, fold in the meringue lightly until well combined.
  6. Pour batter into 7" round pan and tap the sides of the bowl to release bubbles.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven at 160*C for 60 mins or until skewer comes out clean.  Off oven and leave the cake in the oven for another 10 mins.
  8. Remove from oven, unmould.    If sides are still wet, return to oven to dry in the residual heat for another few minutes.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails