Saturday, February 18, 2017

Butter Cookies (adopted from Rasa Malaysia)

I wanted to bake some heart shaped cookies for Valentine's day last week and chanced upon a butter cookies recipe shared by Rasa Malaysia.    This cookie is highly recommended for its melt in your mouth and buttery aroma. 

I love butter cookies and experimented a few recipes before.  The one I most like is a recipe I adopted from her world plus, it's melt in your mouth and buttery as well but the texture is less sandy as compare to other recipes that I tried.  As that recipe was a piped cookies, I wasn't sure whether it could used be for cut out cookies.  Looking at Rasa Malaysia's post, her cookies were so cutely and nicely cut.  Hence I determined to give her recipe a shot.

Unfortunately, the outcome of the dough turned out unexpectedly wet  despite being chilled in the fridge for an hour.  I couldn't handle the dough with a cutter and hence decided to pipe it instead.

To create Valentine theme, I mix 1/3 of the dough with red colouring and use an open star nozzle to pipe rosette.  I didn't add pam cooking spray since I don't have it at home. The outcome of the cookies were well received by family members and friends.  It's indeed melt in your mouth and buttery, however, my daughter still prefers my previous cookies for its texture (less powdery).  I couldn't tell the great difference unless I tasted both at the same time.

Butter cookies lover, this is for you!



Butter Cookies Recipe 
(Largely adopted from Rasa Malaysia)

Texture/ taste: Buttery, melt in your mouth, crumbly and a bit powdery.

Ingredients:

  • 285g salted butter
  • 100g icing sugar 
  • 1 egg yolk (18g)
  • 30g milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 310g plain flour
  • 115g corn flour


Method:
1. Beat butter on low speed until a bit pale, add icing sugar in 3-4 additions and beat till light and smooth (about 2-3 mins).
2. Add egg yolk, milk and vanilla essence in 2-3 additions on medium low speed and mix till combine.  
3. Fold in both flours till dough forms (don't overmix).  Divide dough into 1/3 and 2/3 portions.  Mix a few drops of red colour to 1/3 dough and mix well.  Wrap the pink and white dough separately and chill in fridge for at least an hour. 
4.  Fill the white dough into a piping bag with desired nozzle.  Spoon the pink dough to the center of the piping bag.   Pipe on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Chill for another 1 hour. 
5.  Preheat oven to 180*C (top-bottom heat) 15-20 mins before baking.
6.  Bake at 180*C for 10 mins and 160*C for another 8-10 mins or until golden brown.

7.  Transfer to cooling rack.  Store in airtight container once it's cooled down. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails