Among all the CNY cookies that I baked, Almond Cookie is always my favorite and it's always in my baking list for CNY. I like its almond taste plus melt in your mouth after bite. For people who don't like almond, most likely they will not fancy this cookie.
This year, I baked two different shapes of Almond cookies with 4 recipes. For first batch, I rolled the dough into a ball and made it like a tangerine. For the second batch, I rolled the dough to 3mm thickness and cut out using a flower cookie cutter. Both were good, the tangerine-shaped one needed longer baking time since it's bigger. The flower-shaped's seemed more melt in your mouth, it could be flatter and smaller.
A couple of friends asked me for this recipe as they liked it as well. This year, I tried to incorporate some techniques that I learned from my school
to bake these cookies, below is an updated recipe.
- Preheat oven at 175*C at 15 mins.
- 120g ground almond (super fine) }
- 92g caster sugar } Ingredient A
- 1/4 tsp salt }
- 180g plain flour (sifted) }
- 1 tsp baking powder (sifted) }
- 3/4 tsp baking soda (sifted) }
- 122ml sunflower cooking oil
- Egg wash : 1 egg yolk (beaten mixed with a few drops of oil and strained for smoothness
- Some almond stripes and bites for decor
1. Use a whisk, mix ingredient A (ground almond, caster sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and soda) well.
2. Add cooking oil into ingredient A, mix till combined and form dough. Wrap dough and chill in fridge for at least 30 mins.
3. (a) For tangerine shape, scale dough at 8g, roll them into a ball (b) For flower shape, roll dough to 3mm thickness and cut out with cookie cutter.
4.insert with an almond stripe (b)
Arrange each ball on lined baking trays and egg wash the top surface. (a) For tangerine shape,
For flower shape, sprinkle some almond bites.
5. Chill for an hour (at least 30 mins).
6. (a) For tangerine shape, bake in a preheated oven at 175*C for 10 mins and then 170*C (to minimize crack line)
for 12 mins
or until lightly browned. (b) For flower shape, bake at 165*C for 15-16 mins or until lightly browned.
7. Cool well before storage.