Monday, December 19, 2016

Pandan Gula Melaka Layer Cake

One day, I found someone left half a piece of Gula Melaka Pandan Cake (from Cedele) in the fridge.  Out of curiosity, I cut a small piece to try.  After a bite, I realised it was so good that I couldn't resist myself from finishing all.
It was just a simple pandan sponge cake with a layer of gula melaka cream frosting.   My daughter told me that she was the one left the cake in the fridge and she wanted me to try out.  

I googled around and found a PANDAN COTTON CAKE WITH GULA MELAKA SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM recipe from Bake With Paws and decided to give it a shot. 
I would say the Pandan cotton cake is really excellent, everyone who tried it gave a thumbs-up.  However,  I cannot appreciate buttercream, it's too oily and overly rich to me.   This is my first time I used the Swiss meringue buttercream method, I though it should be much lighter than the usual one.  Though it's lighter, it's still too oily and rich for me.

To get to the bottom of my doubt on what frosting Cedele used for their Gula Melaka Pandan Cake, I found the following product description from their website

A soft, aromatic pandan cake layered with steamed egg pandan custard. Frosted with gula melaka-sweetened cream cheese and finished with a fragrant sprinkling of fresh coconut shreds.
Now, I realised the gap.  Cedele uses cream cheese, not buttercream!
My lesson learned is to do sufficient homework before deciding which recipe to adopt.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails