Monday, December 26, 2016

Coconut Milk Loaf

No more bread at home, should I buy from supermart so that I can go out for shopping?

In fact, these days I shop online often and I am no longer interested in shopping malls.  And because of shop online, I tend to buy lesser things than before.  In the past, once I went shopping, I tended to spend more as beside shopping the goods, I dined in restaurant or cafe.  When shopping online, if I'm tired, resting at home is free.  Moreover, normally, after I create the shopping cart, I don't submit the order immediately unless is something really urgently needed.  This is because I want to reassess my shopping decision to ensure I only buy things that I will use it or necessary.


What bread to bake?  Should I bake another Pullman loaf?  After second thought, I decided to do a variation from Pullman loaf.  This time, I use coconut milk instead of water and milk powder.  I adopted this recipe from a Taiwan baker, Carol.

The turnout is pretty good, it's soft, moist, chewy with a hint of coconut flavour. 

Recipe?  Here you go.

Ingredients (for one 11cmx11cmx19cm loaf pan):
  • 270g bread flour   }  sift together
  • 30g cake flour       }
  • 1/2 tsp instant yeast
  • 30g caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg (about 50-55g)
  • 150g Coconut milk (cold)
Methods:
  1. Combine the flours,  yeast, sugar, salt and egg (salt and yeast to be placed apart from each other) in a bowl and mix it till combined on low speed.
  2. Add in coconut milk gradually on low speed and mix on medium-low speed till windowpane is achieved ( about 13 mins)
  3. Remove the dough from mixing bowl, round to ball and cover it with plastic wrap it in a bowl.  Leave it to ferment for 1 hour or till the size becomes double.
  4. Remove the dough from the bowl, dust some flour on the table top (if needed), slightly punch and deflate the dough.   
  5.  Fold the top and bottom to the centre.  Repeat the same for another two sides.   Seam side up covered with baker's couch and rest for 15 mins (bench rest).  
  6. Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray gently. 
  7. Take out the dough to final shape.  Stretch into rectangular, take the top half and bring it into the centre and press it down with fingertips.  Take the bottom half and bring it up to the centre and press it down with fingertips again.  Press the seam side to ensure no gap.  
  8. Put the dough in a greased loaf pan with seam side down and leave it to proof for another 1 hour or till it rise to 80% of the pan .
  9. Bake at 200*C for 50-55 mins, take it out from pan immediately and let it cool.  


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails