Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cheese Chiffon with Choc Chip Cake

Yesterday, our Chef asked us to bring back some remaining coconut milk from the Nyonya dessert lesson as the expiry date was due within these two days.  I took back a package and planed to bake a Pandan Chiffon cake today.  However, the coconut milk couldn't wait, it turned sour before I began my baking.  It was a relief to me actually, I could trash it without guilt and could focus on clearing the remaining creamcheese that left over from last Sunday's bake.

I searched for cookie recipe since cookie can keep longer, however, I couldn't find any recipe that could consume the amount of the creamcheese left (130g) unless I doubled or tripled it.  I decided to bake a cake instead and chosen one of my favorite recipe, i.e.  Cheese Chiffon with Choc Chip Cake.

I reckoned I had two new tall tube pans that I bought from Phoon Huat last month during their sales and hadn't have any chance to use it, now it's a time to show case.

 
This recipe is using 6 big and 1 small eggs as I forget to remove one of the egg yolk.  I thought the cake might turn out denser but to my surprise, it's much better than my previous bakes.  The texture is very soft, light and fluffy.  The addition of chocolate chip has boosted the cake to another level,  it gives a chocolaty on top of cheesy flavor. 

Do you like this tall tube pan? Does it look like toilet paper roll  ?

Recipe here:
Ingredients
- 135g milk
- 130g cream cheese
- 80g butter 
- 150g  cake flour (sifted)
- pinch of salt
- 6 big + 1 small egg yolks
- 6 big + 1 small egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
- 100g chocolate chips (mix with some flour)

Method:
Preheat oven to 165*C.
  1. Put butter, cream cheese and milk in a heavy duty saucepan and heat on low fire or  over double-boiler until just simmering (around 70*C),  stir/ whisk till smooth and thicken (not too long).  Remove from fire.
  2. Add flour and salt immediately and whisk till smooth.
  3. Add in egg yolk one at a time, whisk well with each addition.  Set aside. 
  4. Use a mixer,  whisk the egg whites till frothy , gradually add in sugar and whisk till medium peak form.
  5. Sacrifice some meringue to dilute the cheese mixture from step 3.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the cheese mixture until almost combined.
  7. Repeat the same for remaining 2 portions, fold in the meringue lightly until well combined.
  8. Add in chocolate chips and fold gently.  Pour batter into two 15cm (6" diameter) x 10cm (4" height) tube pans 
  9. Bake in a preheated oven at 165*C for 15 mins and 160*C for 35mins or until skewer comes out clean.
  10. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table till it cool down.    
  11. Remove cake from pan and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails