Sunday, November 13, 2016

CHEESE CHIFFON CAKE

I recently went to Penang for a short holiday.  The last time I visited I was  a student. Time flies!  It didn't trigger me  it was so many decades ago.  I didn't have much impression about Penang since my last trip were on  a package tour with some of my classmates. We only spent a day in Penang  and if I am not wrong, the key itinerary was to a temple.  

This time, I went with my hubby on a free and easy trip.  I prefer free and easy as I have better control over my itinerary, accommodation and schedule. We stayed at ParkRoyal Penang Resort along Batu Ferringhi Beach on my 1st night.  The staffs there were friendly and helpful, the room was very spacious and breakfast was satisfactory.  I would say it was relaxing.

On the 2nd and 3rd nights, we moved to a boutique hotel in George Town as we wanted to have easy access to George Town attractions.  I booked into Le Dream Boutique Hotel because the review of them were excellent plus it's within our budget (S$100 per night).  I would agree with the review, their service is superb!  I would recommend this hotel to friends if they are planning for holiday to Penang.  This hotel provided awesome breakfast though the spread was not that wide, all the dishes were delicious.  If you didn't like the breakfast buffer, you could order ala carte from their menu (limited selection), they would specifically cook for you.  The service they provided is far beyond 5 stars hotel, they provide free afternoon tea from 3:30pm-5pm, free ice cream, biscuits, tea and coffee after 5pm plus a movie every night.  On top of that, they provide transport within 3 km distance from hotel but an hour advance booking is needed.  The location for this hotel is so convenient  to move within George Town. We had an amazing and wonderful stay at Le Dream Boutique Hotel.  
After back from vacation, I was so lazy to do anything.  Luckily, after 2 days of idling, I finally bucked up and recharged.  I became so energetic and kept searching for recipes to do some bakes .. 

Here you go ... 

Cheese Chiffon Cake Recipe

Ingredients
Cheese mixture:
- 135g milk
- 125g cream cheese
- 80g butter 
- 150g  cake flour - sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence 
- 120g egg yolk (abt 6 big egg yolks)

Meringue:
- 265g egg white (abt 7 big egg whites)
- 120g caster sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar (optional)

- 1/4 tsp pandan paste
- 1 tsp pandan juice


Method:
Preheat oven to 165C.

  1. Cook butter, cream cheese and milk together in heavy duty pot or over double-boiler until thicken (not too thick) and let it cool.
  2. Add in flour, salt, and vanilla essence, alternate with egg yolk and whisk well with each addition, stir till smooth and set aside.
  3. To make meringue, whisk the egg whites till slightly foamy (30 sec), add sugar and cream of tartar in 3 separate rounds and beat until egg whites are glossy,  at medium peaks (about another 3 mins).
  4. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the cheese mixture (step 2) until combined.
  5. Repeat the same for remaining 2 portions of the meringue, gently fold till well combined.
  6. Divide batter into 3 portions.  Take 1/3 of the batter (step 5), add in pandan paste and juice, mix well to form pandan batter.  The remaining 2 portions are cheese batters.
  7. Pour one portion of the cheese batter  into a 20cm (8") tube pan, level it.
  8. Scoop the pandan batter and spread over the cheese batter.
  9. Scoop the remaining cheese batter and spread over the pandan batter evenly. Drop the pan gently on counter top to remove air bubbles.
  10. Bake in a preheated oven (at 165*C)  for 30-35 mins and then lower to 160*C for another 25 -30 mins ((Use a toothpick and insert into the center of the cake, if it's come out clean with no streaks of batter, it should be done)
  11. When it's done, remove from oven and set aside to cool (at least 2-3 hours). It's not necessary to overturn the cake as it's quite dense and will drop out  if overturn the pan.  
  12. Remove the cake from pan and serve. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails