So many bloggers rave about Mrs. SK Ng's Butter cake, I have not tried it before, I will definitely bake one day but not today. Today, I will stick to my old recipe. In fact, the recipe I have uses the same method as Mrs. SK Ng's, i.e. egg separation method. Hence, I think the texture from both recipes will produce similar texture, i.e. cottonly soft.
This was baked after I finished my cheese chiffon cake bake, all in the same afternoon. To appreciate and be thankful of my helper's effort in cleaning up the aftermaths of my baking, I gave her this butter cake for her to share with her friends in their outing next day. She was so happy and grateful about it.
If you are tired of your version of butter cake, why not try this recipe?
Butter Cake Recipe
Ingredients:- 120g chilled butter
- 45g caster sugar
- 60g egg yolks
- 2 tbsp condense milk
- 10g milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp rum (optional)
- 90g cake flour (sifted)
- 2/3 tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 120 egg white
- 30g caster sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 40g walnut
- lightly grease the base of 3"x" 8" loaf tin and line bottom with baking paper. Preheat oven at 160*C.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar by machine until light and fluffy (3-4 mins).
- Add the yolks one by one, beat well after each addition (don't overbeat) and then add the milk (both), vanilla essence and rum.
- Fold sifted flour and baking powder into 2 to 3 batches and mix even. Set aside.
- To make meringue, whisk the egg whites till slightly foamy (30 sec), add sugar and cream of tartar in 3 separate rounds and beat until egg whites are glossy, at medium peak (about another 3 mins).
- Use a big spatula, take 1/3 of the whites and gentle fold into the batter (from step 3). Continue remaining 2 with same method and mix till well blended. Don't over-do it or else, the whites will deflate.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tin and bake at 160*C for 35 mins. Open oven, sprinkle walnut over the batter and then bake for another 10-15 mins (total is about 45-50 mins) or until wooden skewer plunged into middle of cake comes out clean. (if the top is over charred, cover with a foil).
- Remove from oven, unmold and rest to cool.