Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes

Although I had done a fare bit of baking lately, I just feel my energy level remains low and sometimes, somehow I feel that baking has no longer a joy for me, I bake for the seek of satisfying my daughter's craving or getting rid of ingredients that are expiring or some one's birthday, etc.


So many cookbooks I bought have become white elephant, I only like to browse them.  I normally don't dare to try their recipes without anyone tested before as I had some bad experience with some of the cookbooks, the cake didn't turn out as expected.  I don't blame the recipe, it could be me, my skill but the problem is once bitten, twice shy.   That's why I prefer to adopt tested recipe online as it's safer.  
Although this recipe wasn't tested, I decided to give it a try.  This is a chocolate banana cupcake, surprisingly, this cupcake turned out so great, it's excellent. It is chocolaty, spongy and moist.  If you eat it for breakfast, you don't need the layer of chocolate ganache, it's already very tasty.  The chocolate ganache definitely adds extra richness but I think it's too heavy for breakfast, it's good for tea break.


I will definitely bake again.  Want to join me?  Recipe here.

Ingredients (make 8 cupcakes):

  • 125g butter
  • 115g brown suger
  • 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
  • 120g cake flour                            } Sift
  • 1 tsp baking powder                   }  together
  • 2 1/2 (or 3) tbsp cocoa powder} 
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence/paste
  • 3 small banana (roughly mashed) - abt 200g
Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 170*C.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and brown suger together at low speed till light and fluffy (abt 4-5 mins).
  3. Add egg a bit at a time, mix well.
  4. Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and cocoa powder) into step 3,  manual fold till well incorporated.
  5. Stir in vanilla essence/paste and fold in mashed banana and mix well.
  6. Use a ice cream scoop, spoon batter into cupcake case until 70% full.  
  7. Bake for 25-30 mins or till fully baked.
  8. Remove and let it cool completely before frosting (if desired).
I used Chocolate Ganache for frosting - can't remember the exact amount, you can try the following combination if you can't find one.
  • 100g dark chocolate 
  • 80g whipping cream
  • 15g butter



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails