Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cream Cheese Chiffon Cake with Choc Chip

My daughter was craving about this cream cheese chiffon cake with choc chip last weekend, she requested me to bake for her classmates and I definitely more than happy to do so.

To ease her for distributing the cake to her schoolmates, I decided to bake into cupcake form, however, I overlooked that the 6-egg recipe could make more than 12 cupcakes, it actually overloaded my oven.  I must remind myself, I should cut down the recipe to 4-egg next time so that it's just nice to fit in 12 cupcakes.

Luckily, my oven is big, after loading the 12-cupcake tray, I could still squeeze in one 6" tube pan and another 4" tube pan.    The cupcakes only took 25-30 mins to cook, the tub pan took another 10 -15 mins.



Ingredients (cut down to 4-egg proportionally if baking cupcake)
- 135g milk
- 125g cream cheese
- 90g butter (I cut down to 75g for this bake and I prefer)  
- 150g  top flour - sifted
- pinch of salt
- 120g egg yolk (abt 6 big egg yolks)
- 265g egg white (abt 7 big egg whites)
- 120g caster sugar
- 100g chocolate chips (I increased to 120g)

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 165C.
  2. Cook butter, cream cheese and milk together over double-boiler until thicken and let it cool.
  3. Add in flour and salt, stir till smooth.
  4. Add in egg yolk one at a time, whisk well with each addition.  
  5. Use a cake mixer,  whisk the egg whites till frothy, gradually add in the sugar and whisk till 80% peak form.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
  7. Repeat the same, fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 2 portions until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a 24cm (9") tube pan and swirl in the chocolate chips.
  9. Bake in a preheated oven for 50-55mins.  (Cupcake 0nly takes 25-30 mins, 4" tube pan takes about 40-45 mins)
  10. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table till it cool down.  Turn over if can't hold.  
  11. Remove cake from pan and serve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails