Monday, November 19, 2012

Pandan Chiffon Cake - more egg white version

I didn't have any intention to bake Pandan Chiffon cake since I wasn't a fan of pure Chiffon cake as I felt it's too sweet and plain.  On my last bake when I was searching for Pandan recipe which contained creamcheese, I chanced upon a review posted by ieatishootipost talking about everything you need to know to make a perfect Pandan Chiffon Cake.


In his post, he compared 4 recipes that he tested and strongly recommended his wife's Aunt's 30 year old recipe, i.e. Kiamniamwong's recipe.   This lured my curiosity to find out the verdict.

I used to have a Pandan Chiffon cake recipe that I baked everytime for friends and colleauges, it was tested and everyone liked it.  Since Dr. Tay had strongly recommended his Kiamniamwong's recipe,  I decided to give this a shot.  

I follow his ingredients almost to the dot except I skipped cream of tartar since I can do without it.  His recipe called for 25 cm tube pan, I realize that using my 24 cm tube pan, I couldn't fit in all the batter.  I had to scoop some out into a small tube pan (9 cm).  

To my surprise, this recipe is really good! It's so perfect to me.  I love the texture and it's not too moist.  My previous recipe is soft and light but I find it too moist.  This recipe is not too sweet as well. I believe I will bake again!

If you like Pandan Chiffon Cake, I strongly recommend you to use this recipe instead.  Enjoy baking!
Ingredients
Group 1:

- 6 Egg Yolks 
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 115ml Vegetable Oil
- 100g Coconut Milk + 40g milk
- 2 tbsp Pandan juice
- 2 tsp Vanila essence
- 1 tsp Pandan paste

Group 2:
- 200g Top flour (sifted)
- 2 tsp baking powder

- 1/4 tsp salt

Group 3:
- 9 Egg Whites
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1g Cream of Tartar (I omitted)


Preparation
- All Ingredients are at room temp. Separate Egg into egg whites and egg yolks.
- Preheat oven 15-20 mins at 170*C . Lowest rack.
- Baking pan: Prepare 25 cm Chiffon Tin (no lining of baking paper). 

- Total baking time: 50-55 mins.

Method

1. Mix Group 1 - Beat egg yolk with sugar till pale (about 3 mins) and then add in all the remaining ingredients from group 1 (Oil, cocount milk/milk, pandan juice and vanilla/pandan essence/paste). Mix well.

2.  Add Group 2 into Group 1 - Add flour, baking power, salt into step 1.  Whisk till incorporate well.  Put aside.

3. Beat egg white till slight foamy (about 30 sec) and then add sugar and beat till soft peak (about 3 mins or slightly longer).
4. Gentle fold 1/3 of egg white into batter (from step 3), repeat the same step for egg white till complete and mix till well combined (don’t over mix).
5. Pour batter into chiffon tin up to 80% full.
6. Bake at 170*C for 50-55 mins or the insert come out clean (suggest to bake slightly longer if you don't want too moist)
7. After baked, turn over immediately and rest for 6 hrs to cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails