Thursday, November 22, 2012

Durian Chiffon Cake

It seemed like durian is in season again.  Joy to the durian lovers.. I'm one of them! However, durian is so fattening,  I'm very concious of its calories and therefore, always control my craving :(
Last weekend, when my hubby and I passed by the durian stall, we couldn't stop our urge anymore and  bought a box of Mao San Wang and 3 more normal durians.  


The Mao San Wang was so good, so tasty! We really enjoyed. Yum Yum!  However, for the normal durian, one of them was totally tasteless.  Instead of throwing away, I decided to use its meat to  bake a cake. 


Durian Chiffon Cake was in my to-do list for a long time, finally, I had a chance to try out.  I don't have durian essence at home, I replaced it with 1 tsp of vanilla essence instead.  As the durian itself was tasteless, I did't have high expectation of its turn out.  Although it's not very tasty, the texture was good, it's soft and light.  Overall, it's still a decent cake. 

Although I wasn't very satisfied with this bake, I decided to give this recipe another chance but in next bake, I will use a better quality durian plus 1/2 tsp of durian essence.  I believe it should turn out good.

This recipe is originated from Kevin Chai but I found it from Auntyyochana blog.  Below recipe is with slight modification.  Happy baking!

Ingredients:


Egg Yolk Batter:
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 45g caster sugar
  • 150g durian Puree
  • 1/4 tsp. durian essence ( I used vanilla essence)
  • 120 ml coconut milk + 30 ml milk
  • 4 tbsp (60g) Corn oil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 140g top flour (sifted) + 1 tsp baking powder

Egg White Foam:
  • 7 egg white
  • 90g Caster Sugar

Method:
  1. Whish egg yolk and sugar together till light and pale, stir in durian puree and essence, coconut milk and oil. Still to mix.
  2. Gently stir in salt and sifted flour. Mix till combined. 
  3. Whisk egg whisk till slightly frothy  gradually spoon in the sugar till finish. Whisk at high speed until frothy and at soft peak form ( abt 3 mins)
  4. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter into 3 batches.
  5. Pour batter into a  9" chiffon cake pan. Bake at 170*C for about 50 mins or until cooked.
  6. Remove cake from oven and invert the pan onto a wire rack and leave it to cool completely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails