Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chocolate Mousse Cake (II)

I made this cake for one of my daughter's best friends for her birthday since I already had the chocolate sponge cake ready on hand.  Given the limited hour I could spare on the weekday evening, from the photo here, I believe you could tell I was in a rush as the layers of the mousse filing weren't even ... 

Despite its look, this is indeed a delicious cake.  It's very creamy, melt in the mouth, chocolaty and rich! Accordingly to my daughter, her friends like it so much.  I'm glad that I made a right choice as it's  well worth the effort.

I have not been participating in Aspiring Bakers for a while, since this month calls for Layer of Love and this cake fits in, I think I should join the crowd.  I will be submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #18: Layers of Love (April 2012), hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations.

You're interested in trying out this recipe, here you go ... this is a different recipe from my previous bake.

Ingredients:
- One 8" square chocolate sponge cake.  Use this recipe X 1.3.

Chocolate Mousse filling
- 120ml milk
- 40g sugar
- 96g dark chocolate
- 6 gelatine sheets (soak in cold water)
- 1-2 tsp rum (I skip this)
- 400g whipping cream (can reduce to 350g)

Method:
  1. Cook milk and sugar till boiling in a heavy duty pot
  2. Add in dark chocolate, stir till smooth and incorporated.
  3. Add in gelatine sheet and cook till melted.  Remove from stove and rest to cool.
  4. Whip cream till stiff,  fold chocolate mixture (in step 3) into several times.  Mix till well incorporated.
  5. Stir over a bowl of iced water until slightly thickened (a bit runny).
Chocolate Glazing
- 240g whipping cream
- 240g dark chocolate
- 1tbsp corn syrup


Method:

  1. Cook cream till boil and add in dark chocolate.  Stir till smooth.
  2. Add in corn syrup and mix well.
  3. Remove from stove and keep 1/3 portion of chocolate glazing aside (runny stage).  For the remaining (2/3), stir over a bowl of iced water until thickened.
To Assemble
  1. Slice the chocolate sponge cake into 3 layers
  2. Place one layer of the cake onto a loose bottom cake pan/ spring form.  Spread a layer of thick ganache before spreading 1/3 of the chocolate mousse filling.
  3. Repeat the same for 2nd layer.  
  4. For the last layer, spread a thin layer of chocolate ganache, cover with the remaining of chocolate mousse filling and spread evenly.
  5. Cover the whole cake or the top with remaining chocolate ganache and chill in the fridge for more than 4 hours. 
  6. Decorate as desired. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails