I made this cake for one of my daughter's best friends for her birthday since I already had the chocolate sponge cake ready on hand. Given the limited hour I could spare on the weekday evening, from the photo here, I believe you could tell I was in a rush as the layers of the mousse filing weren't even ...
have not been participating in Aspiring Bakers for a while, since this month calls for Layer of Love and this cake fits in, I think I should join the crowd. I will be submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #18: Layers of Love (April 2012), hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations.
You're interested in trying out this recipe, here you go ... this is a different recipe from my previous bake.
- One 8" square chocolate sponge cake. Use this recipe X 1.3.
Chocolate Mousse filling
- 120ml milk
- 40g sugar
- 96g dark chocolate
- 6 gelatine sheets (soak in cold water)
- 1-2 tsp rum (I skip this)
- 400g whipping cream (can reduce to 350g)
- Cook milk and sugar till boiling in a heavy duty pot
- Add in dark chocolate, stir till smooth and incorporated.
- Add in gelatine sheet and cook till melted. Remove from stove and rest to cool.
- Whip cream till stiff, fold chocolate mixture (in step 3) into several times. Mix till well incorporated.
- Stir over a bowl of iced water until slightly thickened (a bit runny).
- 240g whipping cream
- 240g dark chocolate
- 1tbsp corn syrup
- Cook cream till boil and add in dark chocolate. Stir till smooth.
- Add in corn syrup and mix well.
- Remove from stove and keep 1/3 portion of chocolate glazing aside (runny stage). For the remaining (2/3), stir over a bowl of iced water until thickened.
- Slice the chocolate sponge cake into 3 layers
- Place one layer of the cake onto a loose bottom cake pan/ spring form. Spread a layer of thick ganache before spreading 1/3 of the chocolate mousse filling.
- Repeat the same for 2nd layer.
- For the last layer, spread a thin layer of chocolate ganache, cover with the remaining of chocolate mousse filling and spread evenly.
- Cover the whole cake or the top with remaining chocolate ganache and chill in the fridge for more than 4 hours.
- Decorate as desired.