Saturday, March 31, 2012

New York Cheesecake

If you are a facebook fan, you'll not easily miss your friends' birthday if they open it to public or friends.  I don't have a habit to remember people's birthday except my family, in the past, I used to missed my friends' birthday unless they reminded me.  With facebook, it becomes very handy and I will make an effort to greet the birthday's boy/girl if I notice it.  

However, for myself, I like the privacy, I wanted to keep it as low profile as possible.  I prefer to celebrate birthday with my family only.  When friend sends me birthday calendar request, I normally ignore. I guess everyone has their own preference to decide how they want to live their life ... I guess I belong to the group who prefer quiet and something simple.


This cake was dedicated to one of my very close colleagues who just celebrated her birthday on Wednesday.  She was once craving for this and requested me to bake for her family's birthday previously but at that time, I didn't take up the offer because I traveled pretty often and dared not commit.  It was lucky that the prior night had no night call and allowed me to spend the time for baking.   


This recipe is not new, it's one of my favorite.  Instead of 8" cake, this time round, I baked two 6" (round) cakes.  I brought one for the birthday girl, and the others, my hubby brought it to office to share with his colleagues.  The birthday girl was touched and she liked it so much.   My hubby's colleagues raved about it as well.  All of them suggested me to open a shop.  Hmm ... I think I just want to keep this as a hobby for the time being ...


Here you go ..  The New York Cheesecake recipe if you want to give this recipe a try.  Cheer!



Ingredients
- 130g digestive biscuit
- 75g butter (melted)
- 500g cream cheese
- 160 caster sugar
- 1 no. lemon zest (not too much)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 110g cottage cheese
- 4 no. eggs (abt 60g)

Preparation
- Preheat oven at 150*C.  Baking Time: 1 hr 15 mins.
- Baking pan: Two 6" spring form. Outer wrapped with foil and base greased and lined with baking paper.
- Prepare boiling water for water bath baking method.

Method - Biscuit Base
1. Crush digestive biscuit into crumbs with rolling pin, add in melted butter and mix till well combined. Pour into baking pan and press till even and level. Chilled for later use.
  
Method - Cheesecake
2. Beat cream cheese, caster sugar, lemon zest and vanilla essence at medium speed till smooth (abt 5 mins).
3. Add cottage cheese and continue to beat till smooth. (abt 2-3 mins)
4. Add in eggs, one at a time at low speed and mix well after each addition (abt 1 mins).
5. Remove prepared pan from fridge and pour batter onto biscuit base in step 1. Remove bubble if any.
6. Bake in water bath at 150*C for 75 mins or until the centre is set. 
7. Run a small knife around the rim of the pan to loosen the cake. Cover the cake with cling and chill for at least an hours before removing from pan.
8. Chill in fridge for another 5 hours before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails