Friday, March 16, 2012

Chocolate Mousse Cake

It's Friday!!! TGIF. Somehow, I felt so weak this week. I couldn't sleep at night and ended up, my day became very lousy as I couldn't concentrate my work. Yesterday, I was so worried about my vision as suddenly it went blur. After applying some eye drops and took a short rest, I was glad the vision came back. I guess I must be overtired ...

I really look forward to a break! I am glad that finally, it's Friday. Although I still have a day and a night call to go, at least I can put work aside and relax tomorrow ! Am I getting old, can't cope with the stress and long hour work? I had been in such demanding role for two decades, although previously, sometimes I felt stressful I didn't have such feeling. Now, I always feel I don't have enough energy level to sustain ... Time to retire?

Enough grumbling and let's talk about baking. This Chocolate Mousse Cake was made last weekend. I used the same sponge cake as I baked for Chocolate Fudge Cake, the filling was from Brownie with Chocolate Mousse recipe. This combination blends pretty well, however, I still prefer the Brownie with Chocolate Mousse. Brownie gives a richer and chocolaty taste as compared to chocolate sponge cake with mousse. Anyway, it's a good try!

I will try to update recipe during the weekend.  Stay tuned!


Recipe updated on Mar 17.
Prepare one piece of 6" chocolate sponge cake, slice into 2 pieces.  Pls take half portion of this recipe


Mousse Filing Ingredients
  • 200 g whipping cream + 1 tbsp caster sugar
  • 7 g gelatine + 1 tbsp of water
  • 120 g dark chocolate 
For the ganache:
  • 80 g dark chocolate
  • 80 ml liquid cream
  • 1 tsp rum (optional)
  • 1 tsp golden syrup
  • 20-30g chocolate wrap (optional)


To prepare the chocolate mousse:
  1.  Beat whipping cream and sugar under cold water till stiff.  Keep in fridge for later use.
  2. Mix gelatine with water, melt under double boiler hot water. Keep warm.
  3. Melt chocolate under double boiler hot water, stir till smooth.  
  4. Remove whipped cream from fridge, stir in chocolate (slight warm) and gelatine.  Mix well.
  5. Place a layer of sponge cake on a 6" loose pan, spread  70% of chocolate mousse on top of sponge cake evenly
  6. Cover with remaining layer of sponge cake and spread remaining chocolate mousse over the whole cake and ch
  7. ill in fridge.   
To prepare the ganache
  1. Add cream into heavy duty cooking pot, bring to boil.  Off fire and then add in chocolate, golden syrup and rum.  Slowly stir till smooth.  
  2. Let ganache cool down (still runny) and then spread eveny over the cake.
  3. Line the sides with chocolate wrap.
  4. Chill the cake in the fridge till set before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails