Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chocolate Cheese X'mas Log Cake

I always want to bake Christmas goodies for friends and colleagues but I think I have to give it a miss this year as currently, I don't have a domestic helper at home.  My maid has gone home and will only be returning after new year.  Without a helper, it's a challenge for me to juggle office work, cooking and house chores together, not even need to mention about the spare time for baking!

This is probably the first and last log cake I baked for this Christmas.  I like baking but not the washing part,  especially chocolate cake, there are so many stuffs to wash after that.  Sigh!  Frankly speaking, the driver factor for this baking is not because of the Christmas season, it's the expiring the cream cheese and whipping cream that I've to get rid.  How sad!

I posted some of the baking photos on facebook and a couple of my old colleagues asked whether I am selling. Baking is just my hobby, it hasn't crossed my mind to get into business.  I will bake when I've the spare time and feel like doing, I don't like the feeling of obligation and therefore, I'm definitely not prepared to get into serious business. 

Given that the Christmas is round at the corner, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas in advance.  Since this may be the one and only one Christmas bake for me this year, I think I should join the crowd and submit this entry to Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) hosted by Hankerie.

Chocolate Cheese X'mas Log Cake Recipe
Chocolate Cheese Filling:
Ingredient
- 20g egg yolk
- 13g water
- 25g sugar
- 175g Philadephia cream cheese
- 1/2 tbsp gelatin
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 10g whipping cream
- 30g dark couverturechocolate (can increase to 50g)
- 125g whipped cream
- 10g coffee liqueur (Kahlua)


Method:
1.  Beat egg yolk till fluffy.  Set aside.
2.  Bring water to boil, stir in sugar till dissolved.
3.  Pour hot syrup (step 2) into egg mixture (step 1) and beat till cool.  Set aside.
4.  Beat cream cheese till smooth and add into egg mixture in step 3.  
5.  Premix gelatine and water together, double boil till gelatine dissolved and add into cheese mixture in step 4.  Set aside.
6.  Bring whipping cream to boil, off fire, add dark chocolate in, let it to melt and cool down.  And then add into cheese mixture in step 5.  
7.  Beat whipping cream till 70% stiff, add into step 6 together with coffee liqueur.  Mix till combined and chill in fridge for use later.

Chocolate Sponge Cake 
Ingredients
- 100g egg yolk  (about 5 pcs)
- 30g caster sugar   
- 25g milk    } microwave for 25 sec 
- 30g oil        }   
- 56g cake flour        } sift together
- 25g cocoa powder   } 
- 150g egg white (abt 4.5 pcs)
- 75g caster sugar

Preparation:
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and greased it again. Preheat oven to 175*C.

Method:
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar for 4-5 mins or till ribbon stage.  
2. Microwave oil and milk for 25 sec and then pour into egg yolk mixture in step 1.   Mix till combined.
3. Sift flour and cocoa powder together, add into step 2 and stir till combined.  Set aside.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg white and add sugar gradually till mixture is stiff peaks (about 3 mins).  
5. Take 1/3 egg whites, add into yolk mixture (step 3), fold gently till incorporated.  Repeat the same till remaining egg white finishes.
6. Pour the batter into the baking tray (12"x12") .  Bake at 175*C for 20 mins.   
7. Remove the parchment paper and leave it cool. 

To Assemble:
1. Spread the chocolate cheese filling onto the sponge cake roll and gently roll into row.  Chill in the fridge to allow the log cake to set before garnishing.  

Chocolate Ganache:   

  • Method:  Bring whipping cream to boil,  stir in chocolate and butter till all melted and incorporated.  Let it set a bit before spreading/ pouring over log cake  Chill in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
- 100g dark couverture chocolate
- 100g whipping cream
- 30g butter

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails