Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Birthday and Early X'mas Celebration!

Although X'mas is round at the corner, it seemed that  I wasn't ready for it,  I couldn't feel the mood yet ... Why? Guess after working from home, I become very individual, office has become a virtual  working place for me, the face to face interaction with people has dropped to minimal.   With no people in the same team as me in Singapore, I have all the excuses not to go back and therefore, no more Christmas celebration in the office ..
But last Sunday, I started to feel some Christmas spirits ...   My sis-in-law organized a Christmas  party together celebrating her 50th birthday!  She asked me to bake a Christmas cake for this party but didn't mentioned about her birthday celebration.   I found out later from my hubby, to give her a surprise,  we told her we would bring a log cake instead.
   
Another big surprise from her lovely hubby! My brother-in-law made a special trip from UK to attend this party without telling her.  So sweet!!! Guess it's a best birthday present for this birthday girl!   Beside the surprise appearance, my brother-in-law helped her to prepare and cook most of the party dishes including turnkey and ham.. So envy! 

Initially, I wanted to bake a durian cake (as my sis-in-law's favorite) but since not everyone can accept its fragrant, I changed to Mango favor instead.  I'm glad I make the right choice as my "angmo" brother-in-law definitely cannot take it, believe he would say "Oh NO!!"

Although it was a simple celebration, we enjoyed the company, the time together and the food. The turnkey was so tender, the ham was so delicious, thanks for the good cook! It's glad to receive many compliments about the Mango Cheese Layer Cake. Most of them liked the fluffy sponge and refreshing cream :P.

If you would like to try this recipe, here you go ..


Mango Cheese Layer Cake

Ingredients:
- ONE 9" vanilla sponge cake (use this recipe X1.25)
-  Filling (same filling recipe as non-bake Mango Cheesecake)

  • 250g cream cheese
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 75g sugar
  • 2 tsp rum
  • 300g mango puree 
  • 1 ½ tbsp gelatin } Premix and double boil
  • 3 tbsp water }
  • 200ml dairy whipping cream (whipped)
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 300g or 1 mango (cubed)
  • 250g non-dairy top whipping cream (whipped and for icing)

Method:
1. Cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice together till smooth and creamy (2-3 mins). Add in rum and mango puree and mix well.
2. Mix gelatin powder with water and microwave for 20 sec or double boil till resolved. Keep warm but not hot for use later.
3. Whip whipping cream with 2 tbsp sugar till about 70% stiff or mousse state.
4. Stir into mango cheese mixture from step 1, add in gelatin solution from step 2 and mix till combined.
5. Lastly, stir in the cubed mango pieces and mix well.
6. Cut sponge cake into 3 layers, place a slice at bottom of a loose based pan. Pour 1/3 of mango cheese cream mixture on top, place the 2nd layer and pour another 1/3 of cheese cream over.
7. Repeat the same for the 3rd layer. Let the Mango Cheese Layer Cake to chill in fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight to set.
8. Whip top whipping cream, remove cake from ring, cover the cake with whipped cream and decor as desired. Chill for at least another 1- 2 hours before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails