Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cheddar Cheese Cupcakes

After a week of resting, I finally recovered and regain my energy level.   Thank god for the long weekend, I had the opportunity to return to my kitchen for baking.


Although I had a super long weekend, I took a day off on Friday and yesterday was a holiday, somehow, I was very busy and occupied with many things else.  I guess the upcoming vacation trip had sapped a lot of energy from me and my hubby as this time round, we are planning for a free and easy trip.  There is a lot of preparation and planning  to do but I believe it's worth the effort as we can spend more time in places where we like to stay longer.

My friends and colleagues said I traveled a lot but for leisure, I don't think so!   I normally made two trips a year but I hardly go far these years, mostly within the Asia Pacific.  I wish to be able to fly further with whole family but it's hard to find a time that can accommodate two of my daughters' schedule.  My hubby and I really cherish and treasure the time with the kids and hope to bring them along!

Ok, it's enough holiday talk, I should get back to baking.  Realized that the theme of Aspiring Bakers is cupcake this month, as I have not been joining the crowd for last few months, I wish to submit at least one post this time.  Given that I had limited free time yesterday, I decided to bake something simple - Cheddar Cheese Cupcakes.  This cake is soft and light with savory flavor, it's ideal for breakfast.  I prefer to eat this cake when it's warm and therefore, I'll recommend to reheat in microwave (7-8 sec) before eating.  

I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #13: Enjoy Cupcakes! (November 2011) hosted by Min of Min's Blog.

Interested in trying out?  Here you go for recipe (modified from Cake Classics)

Preparation:
  • Prepare 12 to 14 cupcake cases.  Preheat oven at 180*C for 15 mins.

Ingredient:
  • 100g egg yolks
  • 35g caster sugar
  • 40g fresh milk     
  • 75g butter (melted)
  • 70g cake flour     } sift together
  • 30g corn flour     }
  • 100g cheddar cheese (grated) -keep 30g for topping
  • 125g egg whites
  • 60g caster sugar (with pinch of cream of tartar)
Method:
  1. Beat egg yolks and sugar till ribbon stage (abt 4-5 mins).  Set aside
  2. Microwave fresh milk and butter for 25 sec, then stir into step 1.  Mix well.
  3. Add in both flours (into a few separate portions), add in 70g of grated cheddar cheese and mix till combined.  Set aside. 
  4. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and add in sugar (optional cream of tartar ) gradually, beat till mixture is stiff peaks (about 3 mins).  
  5. Take 1/3 egg whites, add into yolk mixture (step 3), fold gently till incorporated.  Repeat the same till remaining egg white finishes.
  6. Scoop the batter into the cupcake cases till 80% full, sprinkle some grated cheese on top and bake at 180*C for 20-22 mins.  

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails