Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pandan Red Bean Swiss Roll

 I made this swiss roll because I need to get rid of the whipping cream.  Sigh!  I bought the 1 liter size because my younger daughter requested me to bake a cake for her friend's birthday. However, she mixed up the date as she thought it was last weekend Despite I used it for Mango and Chocolate Swiss rolls, it still left a lot.   Given that whipping cream can't last more than a week after open, I had to make some more stuffs, else I had to dump into the dust bin.  Such a waste!

One of colleague told me that Bangawan Solo had very nice Pandan Cheese Roll, I purposely bought a piece to compare with this recipe.  I asked my family to be the judges and give me their preference, all pointed to this except my younger daughter as she preferred cheese filling.  I think this sponge cake is very tasty, if this goes with cream cheese filling, it'll be superb!

 
Here you go .. Recipe adopted from Alex Goh with some modifications.

Ingredients:
  • 4 egg yolks   
  • 60g oil                             }microwave for 30 sec
  • 60g coconut milk           }
  • 1/2 tsp Pandan essence
  • 1/2 tsp Pandan juice
  • 1 tbsp corn syrup
  • 60g cake flour                  } sift together
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder      }
  • pinch of salt
  • 4egg whites
  • 70g sugar
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Preparation:
- Line a baking tray (12" x 12") with parchment paper and greased it again. Preheat oven to 175*C.
 
Method:
  1. Microwave oil and coconut milk for 30 sec.   Set aside.
  2. Beat the egg yolks till pale and fluffy (about 3 mins).
  3. Pour step 1 (oil and coconut milk) in and mixed well. 
  4. Add in pandan essence, pandan juice and corn syrup.  Mix till combined.
  5. Add in flour, baking powder and salt a few separate portions and stir till combined.  Set aside.
  6. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg white and add sugar and cream of tartar  gradually till mixture is stiff peaks (about 3 mins).  
  7. Take 1/3 egg whites, add into yolk mixture (step 5), fold gently till incorporated.  Repeat the same till remaining egg white finishes.
  8. Pour the batter into the baking tray (12" x 12") .  Bake at 175*C for 18-20 mins.   
  9. Remove the parchment paper and leave it cool.
   
Filling Ingredient
- 250g whipped cream 
-  1 canned of Japanese red bean (rinse if too sweet and drain away water)

To Assemble:
  1. Spread the whipped cream onto the sponge cake, sprinkle red bean over and gently roll into row. 
  2. Chill in the fridge to allow the swiss roll to set. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails