Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pandan Layer Cake with (i) Red Bean and (ii) Cheese

One of my hubby's colleagues was asked to go (retrenchment) due to company down sizing.  She is already in her 60 and obviously, the company was trying to let the eldest employees to go if possible.  As she has a peculiar taste, she cannot tolerate butter and cheese and therefore, most of the time, those cakes that my hubby brought to the office, she could hardly eat them as butter and cheese were the common ingredient in most of my bakes. 

She hinted to my hubby that she might not have chance to try any of my cake.  I felt bad about her leaving and therefore, decided to bake her a special one.  Since she doesn't take butter and cheese, I think Pandan cake would fit the bill.  I used the same Pandan Red Bean Swiss Roll recipe but instead of swiss roll, I bake into a round layer cake.  My hubby told me that she was so touched and she liked this cake so much!  I am happy to hear about it and hope she enjoys her retirement gracefully.

For this bake, I used 6 eggs instead of 4 and therefore, it yield two 7" round cake.  Since I used one of them for the above mentioned Pandan Red Bean Layer Cake, for the remaining, I wanted to try some new flavor.  I browsed online and found this recipe - Pandan Chiffon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  I had never tried this combination before but this looks similar to the Bengawan Sols's Pandan Cheese Swiss Roll, it gives a savory taste.  Frankly speaking, it's unique, you either you like it or not.  For me, I don't really appreciate such unique taste but some of my friends like it. 

For the 7" of sponge cake (same recipe as the Pandan swiss roll), I used the following amount of cheese filling.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

-          125 g Cream cheese

-          75 g Butter, soften

-          2 tsp icing sugar, sifted

-          120 g Processed cheddar cheese, grated

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails