Saturday, September 10, 2011

Crispy Coffee Cake

Notice that many of the bakers are out there busy with baking mooncake but I am still hesitating and have no gut to go forward.  I think I will not be able to make it as by then I decided, the Mooncake festival probably will be over since my kitchen has not yet equipped  with the all necessary stuffs.  I have never baked mooncake before, this is one of my reservation preventing me from going forward and if I will bake, I think I will go for an easy way, that means I will buy ready-made filling but to get good quality one, I will need to make a special trip down to the specialized store which takes time.  With all these considerations, that's why I am so reluctant and I think I will  give it a miss this year.  Anyway, I have been trying to avoid high calories stuff, this will be a good excuse for me to keep away.

The price of mooncake has become exorbitant this year, I can't convince myself to fork out S$10-15 for a mooncake, it's ridiculous! Don't you think so?  Mooncake ingredients aren't that expensive, why it charges so high!  Initially, I wanted to go without it this year (not willing to pay) but both of my daughters gave me an disappointing look because they would not able to enjoy their favorite Yam and Pandan mooncake this year.  At the end, I bought two Yam's and one Pandan's just to satisfy their craving.

I was quite bored in one of the weekday evening but never thought of doing any baking since I still had a night call to attend at 9pm.  Since the call was cancelled, I decided to bake something for breakfast tomorrow.  I found this Crispy Coffee Cake recipe from one of my cookbook, it's similar to some coffee cakes I baked before, since it's something my elder daughter had been craving, I decided to give it a shot.


I didn't expect it turned out so yummy and tasty, it's moist, crispy, soft and not oily.  It's definitely perfect to go with a cup of coffee.  From my view, this recipe tastes better as compare to those I baked before.  If you would like to try out, here you go ...

 Crispy Coffee Cake Recipe(modified from amy wong & k.s. lee's lovely butter cakes)
- Preheat oven at 175*C for min. 15 mins. Baking Time: 50 mins.
- Baking pan: 8" square baking pan. Base lined with baking paper (Don’t grease the side). 


Ingredient A:
- 100g plain flour   } sift- 60g brown sugar (I think 70g will be ideal, original recipe asks for 80g caster sugar)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp instance coffee (should keep 2tsp per original recipe)
- 70g butter (cold)

Ingredient B:
- 200 butter (original recipe asks for 220g)
- 165g caster sugar (should keep 180g per original recipe)
- 3 eggs  (beaten slightly) - 60g each
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Ingredient C:
- 250g plain flour         }sift (original recipe asks for 260g)
- 2 tsp baking powder  }  
- 135ml yoghurt (original recipe ask for 125ml sour cream)
-  50g chopped walnut (optional)


Method:
  1. Mix plain flour, brown sugar, cinnamon powder and instance coffee of Ingredient A together, mix well.  Cut butter into cute and rub into flour mixture to form dough.  Keep it into fridge till firmed.
  2. Beat butter and sugar from ingredient B till pale and fluffy (about 4-5 mins).  Add eggs, one portion at a time, mix well.  Add essence and mix well. 
  3. Alternately pour in yoghurt and flours from Ingredient C with a spatula, mix well. 
  4. Pour the batter into 8" square mould based with paper.
  5. Remove dough from fridge, grate it, mix with walnut and sprinkle over the batter.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 175*C for 50-55 mins.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails