Sunday, September 11, 2011

Brownie with Chocolate Mousse

After a slice of Brownies with Chocolate Mousse cake at Bakerzin on my birthday, I missed it so much and look forward to another visit but after second thought, since I can bake, why not "DIY ".   Recalling the structure of the cake, it appeared only brownie below chocolate mousse and top with a layer of chocolate ganache, given I had done a couple of brownies and mousse cakes before, I think I should be able to get there.  

 
I flipped through the slack of my cookbooks but to no success of closer recipe.  I searched online and finally found one from Nestle website.  Judging from the recipe description, I was very confident that it should turn out as close as the one I tasted at Bakerzin.   I cut down the recipe by half since it's my first attempt.  I used a 10" square loose pan but realized the pan size seemed to big for the amount of the ingredients as the cake came out very low,  the mousse layer wasn't seemed to be sufficient.  As for the ganache, if I followed the same amount from the recipe, it's way too litte as it 's barely able to cover half of the cake.

I flopped twice when trying to mix condensed milk with melted chocolate to prepare for the mousse, it just stuck together and become solidified.  I got so mad and decided to give the condensed milk a miss since I don't like sweet food.  Although I wasted a pack of couverture chocolate, I think the attempt is paid off as the cake is great. I will definitely try it again but will need to fine tune this recipe - the mousse recipe needs to be double up, baking time for brownie needs to be cut down slightly as it was a bit dry, the egg should be beaten fill foamy before adding into chocolate mixture, etc.  I believe the cake will be perfect after these being fixed. 

If you like to try the original recipe, please follow this link .. but for my next attempt, I'll try the following improved version.  

Preparation:
-  Prepare 9" (10" is too big for this recipe) loose plan, base lined with baking paper.  
-  Preheat baking at 175*C for min. 15 mins. 

Ingredients
For the chocolate mousse

For the ganache:
  • 120 g dark chocolate
  • 120 ml liquid cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp golden syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp rum

For the brownies:

  • 125 g dark chocolate
  • 50 g butter
  • 140 g Condensed Milk
  • 3 small egg (50g)
  • 65g plain flour                                }sift and mix well
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder        }
  • 120g lightly toasted walnut (chopped)
Method:
To prepare the brownies:

  1. Bring water to boil and off fire.  Melt the chocolate over double boiler hot water, add in butter and condensed mil and mix slowly.
  2. Beat the eggs until foaming (5 mins) with a electric mixer, then add into chocolate mixture (step 1).
  3. Mix the flour, walnuts and baking powder; add it to the above chocolate egg mixture and mix slowly using a spatula. Pour into the baking pan and bake in a 175°C preheated oven for 10 minutes (don't over bake) or when you touch the top near the centre of the cake, it sprinkles back. ( I use 12 mins which over baked the brownie).
  4. Remove from the oven, let it cool down for 10 mins before removing the lined baking paper.  Keep in fridge  to allow it to cool down totally.
To prepare the chocolate mousse:
  1.  Beat whipping cream and sugar under cold water till stiff.  Keep in fridge for later use.
  2. Mix gelatine with water, melt under double boiler hot water. Keep warm.
  3. Melt chocolate under double boiler hot water, stir till smooth.  
  4. Remove whipped cream from fridge, stir in chocolate (slight warm) and gelatine.  Mix well.
  5. Spread chocolate mousse evenly onto brownie and chill in fridge.
To prepare the ganache:
  1.  Add cream into a heavy duty cooking pot, bring to boil.  Off fire and then add in chocolate, golden syrup and rum.  Slowly stir till smooth. 
  2. Let ganache cool down (still runny) and then spread evenly over the mousse. 
  3. Chill the brownie in the fridge till set before serving.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails