Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cream Cheese Cupcake

My younger daughter requested me to bake cake for the teacher's day celebration.  Without much hesitation, I accepted the challenge.  Given that there are 40 students plus 17 teachers, my daughter had cautioned me that they needed at least a 2-3kg cake, else it'll not be sufficient for the party.

Initially, my thought was to make all as cupcakes since it's easier to handle, however, given that cupcakes will take up a lot of storage, my fridge will not have that much of spare capacity for this , therefore, I decided to bake the cupcakes for teachers since it's more presentable and easier to give as a gift.   And for the students' consumption, I will bake as cake square instead.
Choosing what to bake is always a headache.  There are so many considerations to take care, eg.  the kids' preference, the storage spare, the handling, the packaging, decoration, etc.  As I don't have much experience to bake for big occasions, it's a real test for me.  To ensure no last minutes hiccups or failure, for the teacher's cupcake, I did a trail run using one of my favorite's recipe, i.e. Cream Cheese Layer Cake but transform it into cupcake over the weekend.  The recipe yielded 15 cupcakes, although this recipe tastes nicer as layer cake, I believe the teachers will enjoy as cupcake form as well.

Since I am not good in decorating cake, I have chosen the most conservative and simple way.  Here you go.. above pictures will be how it'll be presented to teacher in coming big day.

Since there is a slight difference in baking as in cupcake form, here you go for the recipe which has been modified from original.. Cheer!

Preparation 
- Preheat oven at 175*C for 15 mins.
- Prepare  15 -16 (62*40mm) souffle cup. 

Ingredients 
Egg Yolk Mixture
- 6 (108g) egg yolks (large)
- 90g sugar
- 1tbsp (16g) water
- 20g milk
- 1tbsp (15g) melted butter
- 150g top flour or cake flour
- 1 tsp Rum(optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla essence

Egg White Mixture:
- 6 (240g) egg whites (large)
- 90g sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar

Filling and Topping:
- 250g Philadephia cream cheese
- 70g butter
- 20g sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 60g toasted almond flake

Method 
1. Whisk egg yolk and sugar at high speed until light and thick (abt 4 mins).
2. Stir in water and milk and then melted butter. Mix well.
3. Change to low speed and stir in flour. Add vanilla essence and Rum to combine.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites and then add in sugar and tartar. Beat till stiff (abt 3 mins).
5. Fold egg white mixture (step 4) into step 3 using spatula. Mix well (don’t overmix).
6. Scoop the batter into cup at max 80% full and bake at 175*C for 20 mins. Remove from oven and rest to cool.
7. Cream cheese, sugar and butter together until light and creamy. Add in lemon juice, blend well and transfer to piping bag. 
8.  Dig a hole from the top surface of cupcake, pipe in the cheese filling and then decor with almond flakes as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails