Sunday, July 17, 2011

Yam Swiss Roll

I wasn't feeling well on last Monday. It started with some soar throat and then followed by running noise and cough.  Since I had been disrupted by the sleeping problem, I asked the doctor to prescribe me some pills to help my sleep.  He refused but he said the medicine for the night would be drowsy and that should help me.  However, it didn't seem to work, I still had the difficulty to fall sleep at night.  This problem had been troubling me since for a while,  it made me very depressed.  Luckily, last night, I managed to catch some good sleep.  Phew!

I wanted to bake something yesterday afternoon - Saturday so that I could keep myself away from my laptop.  Since the Aspiring Bakers for July theme is swiss roll, it's a good opportunity for me to master my swiss roll skill.  I picked up a recipe  from 孟老師的美味蛋糕卷 cookbook - Yam Swiss Roll.  This is my first attempt trying 孟 老師's recipe.  Although I'm bilingual, reading Chinese cook book is always a challenge,  somehow, it's difficult to comprehend the instruction as opposed to English.  I normally have to read a few times before I can get it right and  I must translate them to English so that it's easier for me to  follow.  Therefore,  using Chinese recipe is more work for me but I enjoy since I prefer Asian recipe than Western's.

I like 孟老師's recipe although it's more work.  Overall, this cake turns out pretty good.  The sponge cake is fine, soft and light.  The sponge and the Yam custard blends well, it tastes like "OrNee".  My family likes it but I think it's a bit sweeter.

I am submitting this yummy Cream Cheese Swiss Roll to Aspiring Bakers #9 – “Swiss Rolling Good Times” (July 2011) hosted by Lynn of Obsessedly Involved with Food. 

Interested?  Pls refer to following recipe:

Recipe for Swiss Roll
- 30g unsalted butter
- 80g egg yolk  (about 4 pcs)
- 20g caster sugar
- 40g Yam paste
-  45g Cake flour
- 130g egg white (abt 3.5 pcs)
- 65g caster sugar

Preparation:
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and greased it again. Preheat oven to 180*C.
 
Method:
  1. Microwave butter for 20 sec. Set aside.
  2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar under hot water or double boiler till pale and thicken.   
  3. Add in yam paste, continue to beat till combined.   
  4. Add in melted butter, mix well.
  5. Add flour in few separate portions and stir till combined.  Set aside.
  6. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg white and add sugar gradually till mixture is stiff peaks (about 3 mins).  
  7. Take 1/3 egg whites, add into yolk mixture (step 5), fold gently till incorporated.  Repeat the same till remaining egg white finishes.
  8. Pour the batter into the baking tray (36cmx26cm) .  Bake at 175*C for 15 mins.   
  9. Remove the parchment paper and leave it cool. 

 Recipe for Yam Custard Filling:
- 70g milk
- 30g caster sugar
- 10g corn flour
- 50g whipping cream (dairy)
- 50g yam paste
- 1/2 tsp gelatine powder (double boil till melted) + 5g water

Method:
  1. Mix milk, caster sugar and corn flour  together.  Well mix.
  2. Add in whipping cream and whisk under double boiler  till thicken.  
  3. Add in yam paste and continue to whisk till thicken.  Put aside first.
  4. Mix gelatine with water, double boil till melt and pour into step 3.  Mix till combine.
  5. Pour yam custard into a tray (14 cm x11 cm) and freeze for 30 mins.   
Recipe for Whipped Cream:
- 100g whipping cream (dairy)
- 20g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Add whipping cream and sugar together, whisk at high speed till stiff (abt 2 mins)

To Assemble:
  1. Cut the sponge cake into 2 pieces.  
  2. Cut yam custard into pieces.
  3. Spread the whipped cream onto one of sponge cake, arrange the yam custard square into line and then cover with some more cream.
  4. Gently roll up the sponge, wrap with a cling wrap and chill in the fridge to allow the swiss roll to set.  
  5. Repeat the same for the second roll.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails