Since I had a free afternoon yesterday, I decided to bake another batch of Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake for my mum-in-law as I planned to visit her in the evening for dinner. My mum-in-law likes plain cake, not too buttery and creamy except durian cream cake. This Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake is one of her favorite, I guess it lies with its texture - smooth, moist, bouncy and tasty. From my view, I will prefer this cake than Chiffon cake. This time round, I sprinkle some dessicated coconut over and glad that it blends well.Trust me, this recipe is really a keeper! I have pasted the same recipe here for your easy reference. Cheer!
Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake Recipe
- Prepare a 8" square baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.
- 60g butter (microwave for 20 sec till melted)
- 80ml evaporated milk (microwave for 20 sec) or 70 ml evaporated milk +10ml water
- 40g cake flour + 40g top cake (sifted)
- 1 egg and 5 egg yolks (lighten beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence(cut down to 3/4 tsp if use vanilla paste)
- 5 egg whites
- 115g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Mix melted butter and hot milk together. Add in sifted flour and mix till well combined.
- Add in the beaten egg yolks and vanilla essence, mix till well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy (abt 40 sec). Add in sugar, cream of tartar and salt and continue to whip till stiff (another 2 mins).
- Take 1/3 of egg whites, mix well with above egg yolk batter. Take another 1/3 egg whites, repeat the same step. And same for the last 1/3 egg white. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into fully lined baking pan.
- Bake at 170*C for 10 min and then reduce to 155*C for 30-35 mins.
- Remove from oven and overturn for 5 mins (to prevent cake from sinking) before unmould.
- You can cut the cake into half horizontally and spread a layer of buttercream if you prefer.