Monday, July 4, 2011

Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake Again!

Since I had a free afternoon yesterday,  I decided to bake another batch of Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake for my mum-in-law as I planned to visit her in the evening  for dinner.  My mum-in-law likes plain cake, not too buttery and creamy except durian cream cake.  This Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake is one of her favorite, I guess it lies with its texture - smooth, moist, bouncy and tasty.  From my view, I will prefer this cake than Chiffon cake.  This time round, I sprinkle some dessicated coconut over and glad that it blends well.    
Trust me, this recipe is really a keeper!   I have pasted the same recipe here for your easy reference.  Cheer!

Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake Recipe

Preparation:
-  Prepare a 8" square baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins. 

Ingredients:
- 60g butter  (microwave for 20 sec till melted)
- 80ml evaporated milk (microwave for 20 sec) or 70 ml evaporated milk +10ml water
- 40g cake flour + 40g top cake (sifted)
- 1 egg and 5 egg yolks (lighten beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence(cut down to 3/4  tsp if  use vanilla paste)
- 5 egg whites
- 115g sugar
- Pinch of salt

Method:
  1. Mix melted butter and hot milk together.  Add in sifted flour and mix till well combined.
  2. Add in the beaten egg yolks and vanilla essence, mix till well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy (abt 40 sec).  Add in sugar, cream of tartar and salt and continue to whip till stiff (another 2 mins).
  4. Take 1/3 of egg whites,  mix well with above egg yolk batter.  Take another 1/3 egg whites, repeat the same step.  And same for the last 1/3 egg white.  Don't overmix.
  5.  Pour batter into fully lined baking pan.  
  6. Bake at 170*C for 10 min and then reduce to 155*C for 30-35 mins.
  7. Remove from oven and overturn for 5 mins (to prevent cake from sinking) before unmould. 
  8. You can cut the cake into half horizontally and spread a layer of buttercream if you prefer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails