Monday, July 4, 2011

Crunchy Cheese Butter Cake

I just bought a new cookbook, it's Agnes Change's Baking Made Easy.  I read many good comments about her recipes- i.e. easy and nice, and since I found it in a bookstore, I decided to keep a copy at home.

Not sure where I got the energy and motivation yesterday afternoon.  After the Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake,  I decided to continue with another bake despite my maid was out - no helper to do all the cleaning and washing.  

 I didn't have particular reason on why I chose this recipe, it's just by random.  I realized that the method of this bake is very different from what I tried before, what amazed me is although the method is simple, the cake turns out very yummy,  the texture is soft, moist and has the lovely crunch on top.  In addition, the saltish taste of the cheese really enhances the flavor of the whole cake and make this cake very unique and delicious!

If you're a cheese lover, I believe you'll like it.  Here you go.. slight modification from Agnes Chang's recipe below.

 Ingredient
  • 220g butter
  • 95g caster sugar
  • 5 egg whites
  • 120g castor sugar
  • 5 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
  • 130g cake flour
  • 100g top flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 100g grated cheddar cheese

Topping:
  • 60g grated cheddar cheese

Method
  1. Cream butter and sugar till light (about 4-5 mins).  Put aside
  2. Whisk egg white and castor till stiff peak (about 3 mins). Add in egg yolks and gentle mix well.
  3. Mix in butter mixture (step 1) and fold in flour and cheese one portion at a time. Gentle mix well.
  4. Pour into a 8" squre pan (greased and lined) and bake for 40 mins at 170*C. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails