Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cream Cheese Swiss Roll

Having some troubles with sleep lately again, not sure why (work stress?) but since today is a Saturday, I should just wake up early to do something else instead of lying on the bed ...Somehow, first thing on my mind is to get onto my laptop and to scan through any urgent mails that came over the night.  Am I workaholic?  I guess it's hard for me to change and since it's the Friday afternoon for the US folks, if I could get them a response now, they could probably close the case and not to wait till next week... 

I hardly bake swiss roll because I hit a couple of failure and bad experience previously. Given that this month, the Aspiring Bakers slogan is Swiss Rolling Good Times, I think I should join the crowd and send in an entry.  I wanted something simple, not too elaborate as I don't want to spend too much time on it and therefore, I picked this Cream Cheese Swiss Roll recipe from one of Alex Goh cookbooks - Baking Code.   Though there were some difficulties with the rolling part at the start, the whole process went pretty smoothly.  Unexpectedly, this swiss roll turns out so awesome!  The texture is so great -  fine, soft and moist.  This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Join me!  I trust you will like it.

I am submitting this yummy Cream Cheese Swiss Roll to Aspiring Bakers #9 – “Swiss Rolling Good Times” (July 2011) hosted by Lynn of Obsessedly Involved with Food. 

Here you go ...

Cream Cheese Swiss Roll Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Baking Code.   

Ingredient A:
- 60g milk
- 50g cream cheese

Ingredient B:  25g corn oil

Ingredient C:  65g cake flour (sifted)

Ingredient D:
- 6 egg yolk
- 8g sugar
- a pinch of salt

Ingredient E:
- 3 egg white
- 55g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Cook ingredient A (milk & cream cheese) until the cheese melts.  Add in oil, mix until well-combined.
  2. Add in flour, stir till even.  Then add ingredient D (egg yolk, sugar, salt) one portion at a time till finish.  Mix till well combined.
  3. Whip egg white till bubbly, then add in sugar, continue to whip till stiff (80%) -all about 3 mins.
  4. Take 1/3 of egg white, add into cream mixture (step 2), gently mix well.  Repeat the same step till egg white finish.  
  5. Pour it into a greased and lined 40x23x3 Swiss Roll mould.  
  6. Bake at 170*C for 20-23 mins. 
  7. After it cools, spread the filling (pls refer to below step) on top of the cake and roll it up.

Cream Fillings
- 125g cream cheese
- 35g caster sugar
- 40g butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon zest

Method
  • Beat cream cheese until smooth.  Add in sugar, cream until well-combined.  Add in butter, cream until well-combined.  Add in lemon juice and zest and mix till well-combined.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails