Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cream Cheese Chiffon Cake

Still left with some cream cheese after the cream  cheese swiss roll bake, I needed to find a recipe to use up this leftover and hence I picked a simple chiffon cake from The Kitchen 70's.  This cake is nothing new to me,  I baked something similar previously but since I wasn't very satisfied with my previous attempts, I decided to add more cream cheese and extra chocolate chips to this recipe in order to give a richer and stronger flavor for my liking.

Not sure what happen along the way, I totally forgot about chocolate chips, fortunately, it struck my mind last minute and I managed to drop it in time.  Somehow, the batter consistency was quite liquid, after the bake, I realized all the chocolate chips sank to the bottom.  I should dust the chocolate chips with a bit of flour before swirling them to the batter, this way, the flour could help to make the "add-ins" less slippery and therefore they could stay put where they are - I learned this from one of the baking lesson.

Despite the flaw, this cake is pretty delicious.  The texture is fine, soft and light and certainly it has a stronger flavor and taste.  I am satisfied with this outcome :)

Want to give this recipe a try?  Here you go ..

Cream Cheese Chiffon Cake recipe modified from The Kitchen 70's.  

Ingredients
- 90g milk
- 60g cream cheese
- 60g butter
- 100g cake flour/ top flour (I use 50g each) - sifted
- pinch of salt
- 80g egg yolk
- 175g egg white
- 80g caster sugar
- 40-60g chocolate chips

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 175C.
  2. Cook butter, cream cheese and milk together over double-boiler until thicken.  Set aside to cool.
  3. Add in flour and salt, stir till smooth.
  4. Add in each egg yolk one at a time, whisk well with each addition.  
  5. Use a cake mixer,  whisk the egg whites till frothy, gradually add in the sugar and whisk till 80% peak form.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
  7. Repeat the same, fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 2 portions until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a 21cm tube pan and swirl in the chocolate chips (coated with some flour).
  9. Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50mins.
  10. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool. 
  11. Remove cake from pan and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails