Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ginkgo Barley with Beancurd Sheet Dessert 白果腐竹薏米汤

I love to eat my mum's Chinese desserts, she is a good cook.  However, with her age catching up,  she has some physical movements problem and these days, she can only cook something light and dessert will no longer be her priority.

 
I had been craving for this Ginkgo Barley dessert for a while and last week I happened to come across a recipe from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover.  I was immediately "hooked" and determined to go for it.     However, instead of me cooking, I asked my maid to follow the recipe strictly. 

Although it doesn't taste as nice as my mum's dish, this is considered pretty good.  I must ask my mum for her secrete recipe as hers is really yummy!

Below is the recipe from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover for your reference.

Ginko Barley with beancurd Sheet Dessert
Ingredients:
  • 100g Barley, washed and cleaned
  • 100g Ginkgo nuts, remove shell and skin  ( I used canned type for this batch)
  • 1pc Beancurd sheet (a special type that suitable for this dessert, easy to turn soft) , wash and soak for 5mins, cut into small pieces
  • 130g rock sugar or to taste ( I will cut down to 110g as it's slightly sweet)
  • 3pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
  • 2000 ml water

Method

1. Add barley, screwpine leaves and water into a large pot and bring to boil. Once water is boiled, cover and change to low flame and continue to boil for 30mins.
2. Put in Ginkgo nuts, continue to boil for another 30mins.
3. Add rock sugar and adjust according to your taste.
4. Add in beancurd sheet at the end ( 5mins before this dessert is done) or beancurd is broken. If you are using the normal type of beancurd sheet, add in 30mins before this dessert is done.
5. Can be served hot or cold.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails