Yes! I finally made it! I was so glad with the turnout of this butter cake. It really makes my day!
This round, I adopted the recipe from A Daily Obsession with a slight modification. Because of the last disappointment, for this bake, I was very cautious of baking time and therefore, I left it in the oven till full 55 mins. To prevent excessive charring , I covered with a sheet of aluminum foil over during the last 10 mins. Overall, the cake texture is great, it's soft, moist, not oily and tasty. However, despite of removing the condense milk, I still find Lurpak butter cake more milky and not as buttery as Golden Churn's. From my view, I still prefer Golden Churn aroma.
If you like Lurpak butter, I believe you'll enjoy this cake. Enjoy baking!
- 200g chilled Lurpak butter
- 30g caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (35g) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp rum (optional)
- 180g cake flour (sifted)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 5 egg white
- 120g caster sugar
Prep: lightly grease the base of Two 3.5*" 7" loaf cake tin and line bottom with baking paper. Oven at 165*C.
1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar by machine until light and fluffy (3-4 mins).
2. Add the yolks one by one, beat well after each addition (don't overbeat)and then add the milk, vanilla essence and rum.
3. Fold sifted flour and baking powder into 2 to 3 batches and mix even. Put aside.
4. Whisk egg whites, and then add in sugar into 2 to 3 times and beat till 70% stiff.
5. Use a big spatula, take 1/3 of the whites and gentle fold into the batter (from step 3), continue the remaining till well blended. Don't over-do it or else, the whites will deflate.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake tin and bake at 165*C for 55-60 minutes until wooden skewer plunged into middle of cake comes out clean. (if the top is over charred, cover with a foil)