Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oreo No-Bake Cheesecake

New year new resolution ?!  I've been thinking hard about what resolution I want for 2011 but I guessed it's nothing special or unique this year, it's still the same old thing as last years.  

I believe health is the most important things in life.  Without a healthy body, I believe we will never achieve happiness.  Therefore, this year, I should keep myself fit and trim, do more exercise.  Since my last thyroid relapsed, I was on medication for past 2 and half years and only lately, my condition becomes stabilized.  In the past, I was a very ambitious person and always put work as highest priority.  Promotion and status were my driving force, although I had a bright career, I wasn't happy because of work stress. After encountering some career setback, I came to realize nothing is more important than my family and my health. That's why I have been trying to pursue a more balance work life in last few years. 

This year, I think I will continue my baking hobby but I will slow down as I want to explore something else.  I may take up some cake icing and designing classes to sharpen my skill in cake declaration, however, it all depends on whether time permits as most of my nights normally will be filled up with conference calls. Or I may spend more time in photography and traveling since I enjoy in these activities.  Not to mention, spending more time with my family continues to be one of my priorities.

 I think I have enough for new year resolution, let me get back to the baking topic.  I made this cake just because I wanted to explore a new recipe.  This recipe from Florence (Do what I like) fits the bill because it's easy to prepare.  It's a cold set cheesecake, no baking is required.   I personally don't really like coldset cheesecake as it's soft, I prefer baked version as it's harder and creamier.  Anyway, this cake gained a lot of support from my colleagues and family.   They like it a lot.  

If you are a big fan of Oreo, I believe you will like this cake.  Below is my version of recipe. 

Oreo No-Bake Cheesecake
Ingredients
Base :
-          110g digestive biscuits, chopped into fine crumbs
-          40g melted butter (used 50g)
          
Filling :
-          1tbsp gelatine powder  
-          10ml lemon juice
-          3 tbsp boiling water
-          250g cream cheese, room temperature
-          50g icing sugar
-          45ml milk
-          1 tsp vanilla essence
-          200ml whipping cream  
-          4 oreo cookies (finely chopped)
-          8 oreo cookies (coarsly chopped) 

Method :
1. Mix biscuit crumbs & melted butter together and press firmly onto the base of cake tin. chill for 30 minutes.  Put aside.
2. Double-boil gelatine, lemon juice & boiling water until totally dissolved. Keep warm and put aside.
3. Beat cream cheese, icing sugar till smooth and then add in milk and vanilla essence.  Mix well.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat whipping cream with electric beaters until 70% stiff or until mousse-like.
5. Add in cream cheese mixture (in step 3) and gelatine solution (in step 2).
6. Pour 1/2 the cheese mixture onto the base, sprinkle coarsely chopped cookies on top of the first half of cheese mixture.  Chill for 15 minutes and remove.
7. Stir in finely chopped cookies into the other 1/2 of the mixture. Mix well and pour onto the first half cheese mixture.
8. Chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving. decorate as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails