Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mocha Marble Chiffon Cake

 
The weather has been very cooling these days but I feel cold and need to cover with long pants and jacket.   Somehow, I find I get tired very easily lately, not sure whether it's the increasing of late night calls or getting older or sick...  

The weekend has been very routine, nothing excited even though the Chinese New Year is approaching.  I haven't got into the new year mood of getting myself busy with shopping and baking. I think I am going to take it easy this year and do less ...   

I was very pleased with the turn out of the Chocolate Chiffon Cupcakes and therefore, tried to bake another recipe from the same cookbook.  In comparison of the two, I prefer the chocolate's as it's tastier although this cake shares the same texture.  I think walnut goes better with butter cake than chiffon as it needs something stronger in taste to go with.  If I intend to bake this again, I will add some condense milk to the mocha as the black portion tastes a bit bitter as far as I feel.  Anyway, if you like something less sweet, this recipe suits you.

Mocha Marble Chiffon Cake Recipe  
(modified from 美味糕點新主張)
Preparation: 
- Preheat oven at 175*C for 15 mins. 
- Prepare 9” tube pan. Separate egg yolk and egg white. Sift flour. 

Ingredients: 
- 65g fresh milk
- 40g cooking oil
- 2 tsp rum or vanilla essence
- 100g egg yolk
- 100g cake/ top flour } sift
- 240g egg white
- 130g caster sugar
- 70g chopped walnut (toasted)
- 5g coffee powder + 5g cocoa powder } dissolve
- 10g hot water + (should add 1 tsp of condense milk) } in hot water

Method:


  1. Microwave milk and oil for 20 mins and then add in rum/ vanilla essence and eggs. Mix well.
  2. Fold in flour together and mix till combined. Set aside.
  3. Whisk egg white, add sugar into 3 times and beat till 90% peak.
  4. Fold in 1/3 egg white into the yolk mixture. Fold in the rest of white gently and stir in walnut. Set aside.
  5. Dissolved coffee and cocoa powder in hot water (I'll add in 1 tsp of condense milk or sugar next time). Take 150g of batter from step 4 and mix in. Blend well.
  6. Pour in some portion of white batter into 9" tube pan, alternate with black batter and use a spoon to creates marble effect.
  7. Bake at 175*C for 10 mins and then turn down to 150*C for another 35-40 mins or till cooked.
  8. Invert the baked cake during cooling process.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails