Thursday, December 30, 2010

Chicken Shepherd's Pie

Both my daughters love to eat the Country Pie from the Coffee Club cafe and each time, they visit there, they will not miss that dish. I came across this Shepherd's Pie recipe from a magazine few weeks ago but could not find a suitable time to bake.  Today, I decided to cook this dish for dinner since I had some cheese and whipping cream in the fridge.       

Since this is my first attempt, the turnout is quite satisfactory (in fact, I didn't follow the recipe strictly).  It's quite delicious although a bit at the dry side (I think I must have forgotten to add the 1 tbsp of fresh cream),  I would say it's about 75% close to the one serving in the Coffee Club cafe.   If I will go for another attempt, I should not short cut but will add more chicken meat (since my daughters prefer more meat) ...In addition, I should buy some individual baking dishes so that each will have its own serving. 

If you are interested in giving this recipe a try,  here you go...

Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Ingredients A
  - 5g butter, 50g Onion (chopped), 15g Garlic (chopped)

Ingredients B
  - 250g Chicken meat (diced), 70g mushrooms (sliced), 120g mixed vegetables
** I double up the chicken meat and mushrooms and omitted the vegetables**

Ingredients C
  - 100g fresh milk (I used whipping cream), 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp chicken powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, 4 slices cheese, 1 tsp sugar
** I used whipping cream, cut down cinnamon powder **

Ingreditents D (mix to a batter)
  - 1tsp flour, 1 tbsp water

Ingredients E
  - 750g Potato (skinned, cut inot small pieces)

Ingredients F
  - 75g cheese (grated), 1 tsp chicken powder, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp fresh cream

Ingredients G
  - 75g cheddar cheese

Method:
  1. Melt butter over medium flame, saute chopped onion and garlic together
  2. Add ingredients B and stir fry to semi-cooked.  add in ingredients C and cook till thicken.
  3. Add batter to further thicken the mixture, dish ito a 20cm square bowl, set aside.
  4. Place potato into a pot with 1 tsp salt and enough water, cook till soften (abt 30 mins).  Drain the water, place into a mixer while hot, add ingredients F.  Blend well to form potota mash, dish up and cover over prepared fillings.
  5. Lay shredded cheddar cheese onto potato mash.  Bake at 220 degrees in pre-heated oven for 15 mis till golden brown.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails