Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Bundle of Love for Christmas

My niece is so sweet, she wanted to bake some cookies for her colleagues as she wanted something more personalized.  She asked whether she could come to my house to bake as she doesn't have an oven at home.  It's my honor!  I asked her not to buy any ingredients unless something very special which I don't stock up.

I shortlisted a couple of recipes for her but finally narrowed down to these two: - one is the Shortbread of Love and the other is the Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies.   Frankly speaking, these recipes were new to me, I wasn't sure how it would turn out and therefore, I didn't have much confident in baking these. 

I hardly bake cookies, the last bake was in last Chinese New Year.  Actually, I wasn't sure why I was so engrossed into cakes.  Cookies supposed to be the easiest thing to make and it's a prefect item for giveaway gift,  I think I should explore more variety of baking moving forward.  I used to love Famous Amos Cookies and I could finish 200g at one go.  Somehow, after taking up baking, I am no longer craving for it.  I think it's better as cookies are such unhealthy and fattening foods same as cakes and other desserts, we need to be very moderate in our intake in order to maintain a healthy diet.

 
I helped my niece to do all the baking so that it would allow her to put focus on decorating her cookies.  Surprisingly,  these two cookies turned out very yummy,  I believe her colleagues and friends will appreciate. 

 If you are cookies lover, I trust after you have the first piece, you will not stop at one. Here are the recipes for sharing. Enjoy baking.  Cheer!


1. Shortbread of Love
 Ingredients:
-          250g butter
-          120g castor sugar
-          250 plain flour (sifted)
-          120g rice flour (sifted)

Method:
1.      Cream butter and sugar till well combined.
2.      Add in plain flour, rice flour and mix into a pliable dough
3.      Place dough between 2 sheets of grease-proof paper and roll into ½ cm thick
4.      Cut with love-shaped cookie cutter and arrange cookies onto a greased baking tray.  Sprinkle some caster sugar on top as decoration
                    5.      Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180*C for 15-20 mins till lightly brown 
                    6.      Remove, leave to cool before shorting into an air-tight tin

2. Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
-          160g butter
-          80g caster sugar (*can cut down 5-10%)
-          80g light brown sugar
-          ¼ tsp salt
-          1 egg
-          ½ tsp vanilla essence
-          190g plain flour
-          1tbsp rice flour
-          ½ tsp baking soda
-          100g chocolate chips
-     60g chopped almond or any types of nuts

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180*C.
2. Cream butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Slowly beat in the egg and vanilla essence until well combined.
4. Sift flour, rice flour and baking soda together.
5. Fold in flour, chocolate chips and diced almond into Step 3 using spatula.
6. Scoop the cookies dough and drop it on a greased tray.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180*C with fan-forced for 5 mins and then change to top and bottom heat for another 10 mins until firm.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails