Saturday, October 16, 2010

Peanut Butter Chiffon Cake

 
 I continue slacking since after back from the Tokyo trip, somehow, I couldn't push myself to bake something more challenging.  I only confined myself to simple cake.  I think I need to give myself a boost, else it's hard for me to sustain this hobby ..

Today is my mum's birthday, by right, I supposed to bake a cake for her...  However, since I had been struggling on what to bake, my brother told me not to worry and he will take care of it.  In the past,  I would insist in taking up this challenge but somehow, this round, I give in to him ... What happen to me? Am I really tired?? ...

I reckon if I don't continue to bake, many of the ingredients will be dumped away very soon because I can no longer use them. This bottle of peanut butter was bought at least 3 months ago for a 2nd bake of  Peanut Butter cake since the first attempt wasn't very successful.  But now, I decided to bake a chiffon cake instead since I have never tried this recipe before.  I was curious which recipe would turn out better - chiffon or butter cake ?  And... the verdict is Peanut Butter Cake since it's richer.  Chiffon cake usually is lighter and this cake is quite plain from my view.  To remedy this,  I slice the cake into 3 layers and spread with some peanut butter.  Glad that it tastes much better now :)


Thinking of trying a new recipe?  Follow me!

Preparation:
-  Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.

- Separate egg into egg yolks and egg whites

Ingredients:

Egg Yolk Batter
- 4 egg yolks
- 80g peanut butter
- 4 tbsp (60g) corn/peanut oil
- 35g caster sugar

- pinch of salt
- 120g top flour                  } sift together
- 3/4 baking powder       }
- 5 tpsp flesh milk (warm)


Egg White Foam
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 72g caster sugar

  
Method:
1.  Microwave peanut butter for 20 sec.  Pour in oil and microwave for another 20 sec.  Remove and stir till combined. Let it cool a bit.
2.  Add above peanut butter mixture into egg yolk, pour in sugar, salt and milk and mix till well combined.
3.  Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, mix well to form egg yolk batter.
4.  In a separate bowl, beat egg whites at high speed till foamy (about 50 sec),  add in sugar and cream of tartar and continue to beat till stiff (another 2 mins or more).
5.  Fold in 1/5 of egg whites, stir and mix well with egg yolk batter.   
6.  Fold in another 2/5 of egg whites gentlely and stir well.  Repeat the same for the remaining till blended. (don't overmix)
7.  Pour batter into ungreased 9" tube pan.  Bake in preheated oven at 170*C for 35 to 40 mins or until cooked.
8.  Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cooled (abt 4-5hours)
9.  Slice the cake horizontally into 3 layers and spread with peanut butter if desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails