Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blueberry Cheesecake

 I had been wanting to bake an American type of blueberry cheesecake but somehow, I had never made it.  The problem lies with the blueberry filling as each can weighs about 600g, it's hard for me to finish it in one bake. With the busy travel schedule in past few months, I dared not commit myself... until lately, given that my next travel is 3 weeks away, I am more confident and comfortable to commit my time in baking and therefore, took the opportunity to clear this old stock ...

I thought this week should start with less busy schedule, however, it's unexpectedly busy.. many issues and adhoc calls lining up last minutes but since I committed to meet up some colleagues in the office, I decided to allocate some time to bake this cake for them. 

This cake should be rather rich, creamy and with some tartness but it's definitely not as heavy as New York or Oreo Cheesecake as I believe the blueberry should help to dilute its richness.  Generally, the feedback from my office colleagues were positive but some commented slightly rich and heavy.  Since I wasn't in the mood to taste it that day and I can't comment  but given that this is the American style, it's no doubt ...

If you are a fan of rich cheesecake, here you go..  

Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe
Preparation:  
- Preheat oven at 150*C for 15 mins.
- Prepare a 7" round baking pan (loose base or spring form),  wrapped outer with foil and base greased and lined with baking paper. 

Ingredients:
Base:
-  130g digestive biscuits
- 60g butter (melted)

Filling:
- 250g creamcheese
- 15g butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 15g cornflour (sifted)
- 150g sour cream
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 75g blueberry filling 

Topping:
- 1 tsp gelatine
- 15ml water
- 75g blueberry filling

Mehtod
Base: 
1.  Crush digestive biscuit into crumbs with a rolling pin, add in melted butter and mix till well combined.  
2.  Pour into baking pan and press till even and level.  Chilled for later use.

Filling:
3.  Beat cream cheese, sugar and butter until smooth.   Add in lemon juice and cornflour, beat till combined.  
4.  Add in sour cream and blend until mixture thickens.  Slowly pour in eggs and mix  till just combined.  
5.  Pour half of the filling into the biscuit base.  Spoon some blueberry filling and drop onto the cheese filling, and then cover with remaining filling.  
6.  Bake in a water bath at 150*C  for 1 hour or until filling is set around the edge.
7.  Turn off  and leave the cake in the oven for 30 mins with the door closed.
8.  Remove water bath from oven and leave cake in the oven to cool with door ajar.
9.  Cover cake pan and chill in fridge for at least 5 hours.

Topping:
10.  Bring water to boil and add in gelatine. Stir over low heat until mixture is clear.
11.  Stir in blueberry filling.  Remove from fire and let topping to cool.
12.  Spread topping over cake and decor as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails