Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Japanese Cotton Cheesecake

It was extremely hot and stuffy when I was in Beijing last week, the sky was also very hazy and smoggy.  The air was so polluted that I believe it's affecting everybody's health.   I don't think I could bear with such weather and air condition any longer there.  

Although it was a short trip, it seemed more things happening than other previous trips.  The Beijing traffic is very terrible especially during the peak hour, for a 5 mins trip, you might need half an hour. The trip from one place to another was never pleasant as there was always traffic jam.  The worst experience I had is the trip to Silk Market.  There wasn't any taxi wanted to pick me back to hotel because of the bad traffic condition.   It's glad that a taxi driver willing to take me but he demanded for a premium.  For a RMB16 journey, he charged me for RMB80, it likes a daylight robbery!   Since I was alone and not familiar with the place, I had no choice to agree :( 

Singapore is supposed to be hot during this season but it has been raining since the past few weeks.  However, last Saturday morning when I was back, I was so glad to see a clear and blue sky.  The weather was so good and the air was so fresh.  I guess I missed my home!


Back to baking .. I wanted to bake something to bring to office for my colleagues, I chose this recipe because it's a simple cake and should be delicious.  The last time I baked this cake was a year ago and my neighbor praised about it.  I hope my colleagues will like it as well.

Here you go.. Japanese Cotton Cheesecake recipe ..

Ingredients
 -    125g cream cheese
-    100 caster sugar
-    4 egg yolks (60g each)
-    ¼ cup (65ml) milk     } microwave
-    ¼ cup (55ml) oil        } 20 sec
-    1 ½ tsp of lemon juice (or ½ lemon)
-    zest of 1 lemon
-    30g cake flour                     } sifted
-    1 tbsp (10g) corn flour        } together
-    4 egg whites
-    40g caster sugar
-    ¼ tsp cream of tartar

Preparation
-    Preheat oven  at 150*C. .  Baking Time: 1 hr 20 mins (+/-20mins).
-    Baking pan:  Pan wrapped with foil and base lined with baking paper.  Bake on the lowest rack in a water bath.  (Don’t grease the side)

Method
1.    Cream cheese (10 sec) using mixer and than add sugar until light (30 sec – 1 min)
2.    Add in egg yolks, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
3.    Preheat Oven with boiling water for water bath.
4.    Heat  milk and oil in microwave for 20 sec, immediately stir with balloon whisk and add into the cheese mixture (step 2).
5.    Mix the juice and lemon zest in,  then followed by sifted flour with balloon whisk.  Put aside.
6.    Whisk egg whites at medium speed until soft peak formed, add in sugar and cream of tartar and whisk until stiff.
7.    Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cheese mixture (step 5), gentlely mix well.  Repeat the same for remaining the egg whites.
8.    Pour into the prepared pan and bake in water bath in a preheated oven at 150* for 1 hr 20 mins or until the centre is set and golden brown.
9.    Leave the cake to cool.  Remove the cake from pan and chill in fridge for 4-5 hours before serving.  

2 comments:

DG said...

Hi,
Your cheese cake looks nicely baked. I was browsing your page just now and all I can say you bake very well.

cynthia@my-sweet-hut said...

Hi DG,
Glad to hear about it.. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails