Friday, August 20, 2010

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

I wasn't feeling well yesterday as I had a bad sore throat. I guess my daughters must have passed the bug to me as both of them were sick last week.  The situation got worst after lunch as I totally lost my voice and I could feel the pain cutting my throat.   The doctor said my throat was swollen and most likely was inflected.  He prescribed the medicine and asked me to rest more, talk less. I had no choice to ask for the remaining conference calls in the afternoon to be postponed to next week.

  
After consulting the doctor, I headed to Koong Woh Tong (恭和堂) for a bowl of herbal jelly (Guilingao) as I believe it's very effective for sore throat.   Not sure whether the herbal jelly worked or the medicine, by the evening, I could feel the pain reducing and my voice started to return.  Thank god! :)   
 
I supposed to rest today since on medical leave but I couldn't stop myself reading work mails and surfing the net on and off.  I chanced upon this Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake recipe from Bakericious' blog,  it's higher rated by the baker, Jess and she has baked many times for her family, friends and colleagues.  I was induced by her recommendation and since I still have some cream cheese in the fridge, without hesitation, I decided to give it a try.

 
I modified Jess' recipe as I prefer the butter cake to be moister, therefore, I increase the milk to 2.5 tbsp (I think I can add a bit more, i.e 3 tbsp).  I added 1 tsp (I think I can add 2 tsp) of lemon juice to the cream cheese to enhance its taste with zesty effect.  I baked it at 170*C instead 180*C and therefore, it took 55 mins.
 
Gosh! This cake is awesome.  I can't believe a simple cake can taste so nice.   As the chocolate layer is a butter cake, to me, it's a chocolaty, dense, moist but not hard;  the center layer of the cheese is soft, rich and creamy, this combination of each unique flavor and texture creates such scrumptious dainty.  My daughter loved it so much, same to my maid and my hubby, I could see their enjoyable expression ..hehe.. 
 
To cut short my story, I agreed with Jess that this recipe is a keeper and I am sure I'll bake again for my colleagues, friends and family soon.

Here you go ..  Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Recipe

Ingredients:
Cheese Mixture
-    300g cream cheese      } beat
-    50g castor sugar          } together
-    1 egg
-    1 tsp lemon juice

Butter Batter
-    250g butter, softened
-    160g sugar
-    4 eggs
-    4 tbsp cocoa powder            }
-    160g self-raising flour           }sifted
-    ¾  tsp baking powder           } together
-    ½  tsp baking soda               }
-    2.5 tbsp milk

** If you don't have self-raising flour,  each 100g of plain flour, please add 1tsp baking powder. 

Preparation:
-    Preheat oven at  170-175*C for 15 mins.  Baking Time:  50-55  mins
-    Prepare one 8” squre baking plan or two 8” x 3.5 loaf plan, lined with baking paper.
-    Sift coca powder, flour,  baking power and baking soda together.  Mix till even.

Method:
1. Beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy (abt 3mins).   Add in egg and mix till well incorporated. Set aside.
2. In another mixing blow, beat butter and sugar at medium speed till light and fluffy (about 5 mins).
3. Add in eggs, one at a time  and mix at low speed till well incorporated.
4. Fold in flour mixture (coca powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda) with a spatula, alternate with milk into egg mixture (from step 3) gentlely till finish.
5.  Pour half portion (abt 400g) of butter batter (from step 4) into prepared pan and spread evenly.  Top with cheese mixture (from step 1)and level it. 
6.  Pipe in remaining butter batter over the cheese mixture and spread evenly.
7.  Bake in preheat oven at 170C for 55 mins or until skewer comes out clean.


** If you are using this recipe to bake as cupcake, pls remember only to fill the cup up to 70% max else you will encounter overflow.  For cupcake, the baking time will reduce to 20 -25 mins.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails