Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Traditional Butter Cake (II)

Lately, the weather is very stuffy and warm especially for me who works from home.  I wanted to go back to office but somehow, I didn't make it.. it's either there were calls last minute or I was too lazy...  In fact, there is very little motivation to go office because most of my closer colleagues are working from home these days.   It's hard to find lunch partner if I didn't book them in advance... :(
 My elder daughter is preparing herself for her "U" life, lately she was so occupied everyday with her new friends and it's hard to find time from her.  I guess after her U starts, the time with her will be much lesser since she has decided to stay in hostel.  As parent, I guess we will need to prepare and adjust ourselves.  I was sharing this "grievences" with one of my ex-boss, he thinks it's so natural for the kids not to miss their parents unless somethings happens.  He talked from his experience as he only missed his parents when he went oversea study.  Sigh!

Luckily, my second one is till young but I bet another few years down the road, she will behave like her sister. By then, I probably have to find something to make myself very busy else, I'll be very miserable as the house can be very empty and quiet...

Probably, I should take up an oversea assignement since the kids no longer need us to take care of them.  I was hoping to retire and tour around the world but this might not be realistic as how long my saving can sustain such life.  I think I still need a job to maintain a decent living.  I'm not sure whether I worry too much or .... it seems my hubby doesn't think about it .. his life is about watching movie if he has nothing to do ...    

I'll be travelling again next week to Sydney and the week after to Beijing.  All these trips only come in with short notice.  It's quite disrupting as intially, I had some plans to bring my elder for another short trip before her U starts.  I also thought of bringing her along to Sydney but given that the flight has been fully booked plus I need to be back for next trip to Beijing.  Guess I'll have to wait for her school break.  
 
The weather should be nice in Sydney but food there is quite expensive as compare to Singapore. Anyway, I'll be there for few days only.  I don't look forward to Beijing this time as the weather will still be very hot.  Luckily is a short trip ...

Since the kids and my hubby were not at home (two went out, one went tution), I baked this butter cake to kill my time.  I tried this recipe previously but not very successful,  hence, I had the urge to bake again with a slight modification. This time, it turned out very good, very delicious.  It's not too buttery, not too sweet, it's mosit and soft (and not dense).  The only defect is the mixing part as it is not very even.  I should have stired a few more strokes.  Anyway, I am happy with the result.  

Here you go.. Traditional Butter Cake Recipe - take 2.

Ingredients:
-     200g chilled butter
-     85g caster sugar 
-     5 egg yolks 
-     3 tbsp condense milk    }
-     15g milk                      }
-     1 tsp vanilla essence
-     150g plain flour (sifted)
-     1 tsp baking powder (sifted)
-     5 egg white
-     50g caster sugar
-     1/4 cream of tartar

Method:
Prep: lightly grease the base of a 7" square cake tin and line bottom with baking paper. Oven at 165*C.

1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar by machine until light and fluffy (3-4 mins).
2. Add the yolks one by one, beat well after each addition (don't overbeat)and then add the liquid (milk and vanilla essence).
3. Fold in the flour in 2 or 3 batches and mix even.
4. Whisk egg whites, and then add in sugar and cream of tartar until stiff.
5. Fold the stiff egg whites into the butter mixture until well-blended but don't over-do it or else, the whites will deflate.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake tin and bake at 165*C for 50-55 minutes until wooden skewer plunged into middle of cake comes out clean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails