Sunday, July 11, 2010

Durian Butter Cake

I planned to experiment the black forest cheesecake yesterday as I had prepared all the ingredients since few weeks ago.  However, given that I had to "get rid" of the durian puree (if possible) that left over from the Father's day bake, I had no choice to bake another durian cake.  I was quite tired of durian cream puff and durian cream cake since I had made these a couple of times last months.  I ought to try something new ...
 
I had about 600g of durian puree left in the fridge.  This amount is just nice for a 8" cream cake or a recipe of cream puff.  I browsed through the stack of cookbooks I bought, I found durian cheesecake and butter cake recipes. I remembered I tried baking durian cheesecake before, it didn't turn out that well as cheese and durian didn't blend very well.  I therefore decided to try out the durian butter cake

I didn't put too high hope on this recipe but I guessed it's no harm.  I like durian cream cake as the combination of whipping cream and durian puree are perfect match but I find it hard to swallow when creamcheese mixes with durian as it's too rich and too strong.  May be I don't have a strong taste bud.  Same for chocolate cake,  if it's too rich, I can't take it as well.  

Since I had doubts about this recipe,  to convince myself, I went through other bakers' experience and comment.  Most of them seem very satisfied with it and they recommended.  Since most bakers' recipe use similar ingredients although with some variations, I believe the outcome would not vary too much.     After this research,  it gave me more confident and allowed me to give this recipe a shot.  
 
When the cake was in the oven baking, I could smell a very strong "aroma".  I couldn't describe the smell, it was very distinctive but certainly not very fantastic.  In fact, I didn't really like it.  I took a bite after the cake was out from oven.. OMG! It was way too strong for me ...  I am fine with durian fruit or cream cake but durian with butter after baked, the smell is too overwhelming however,  my hubby said "it's good".  Since this is a pound cake, it carries the same texture -i.e. moist and dense.  I didn't want to keep anything at home since I think beside my hubby, no one else can take it.  I therefore give all away...
 
I think the problem lies with too much durian puree in this recipe (in fact, I have already reduced 20%).  If the durian amount could cut down to half, the flavor/ taste may be more subtle and blend better.  However,  if you are durian lover, you may think otherwise and this recipe may be able to win your heart.

Here you go.. Durian Butter Cake recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 250g butter
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs (65g each)
  • 200g durian puree
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence 
  • 230 self raising flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 20g coconut powder 
Method: 
  1. Grease a 8" round baking pan. Preheat oven to 170*C 
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
  3. Stir in durian puree, milk and vanilla essence. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder and soda , and coconut powder. Mix until well blended.
  4. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven at 170*C for 45 minutes or until cooked.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails