Saturday, May 8, 2010

Yam Chiffon Cake

I was trying to get rid of the left over yams from the previous yam cake bake and wanted to try out  yam chiffon cake.  There are couple of the recipes I found and at last, I decided to adopt Aunty Yachana's recipe.  In fact, according to her, the recipe is published by Kevin Chai, in his cook book - "chiffon cake is done".

I had never tasted yam chiffon cake, I doubted how tasty it would be although many of the bakers recommended.  I didn't really like the chiffon cake as it has very high sugar content and too sweet for me. Therefore, I had no expectation when I was baking this, my purpose was just to get rid of the yam and allowed me to try something new ..

I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I ran out of some ingredients.  I used more yam because I had to clear what I had on hand and therefore cut down some flour.  I didn't use all coconut milk or evaporated milk as I ran out of them and therefore, substitute the remaining with fresh milk.   I added an extra egg white since the size of eggs I used was not big, around 60g each. For the flour, I preferred to use top flour as it could give a lighter texture.

 
To my surprise, the cake turned out very delicious and yummy.  Beside fluffy, moist and light, it's not too sweet and rich.  I believe after 1st bite, you will not stop ...

Yam chiffon cake tastes much better than pandan and orange, this recipe is indeed a keeper and I will definitely bake again!


Here you go .. Yam Chiffon Cake recipe:

Egg yolk Mixture Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks (60g each egg)
- 50 gm. castor sugar
- 180 gm. mashed Yam (steam and mash it)
- 120 gm. coconut milk or evaporated milk (+2 tbsp milk if yam is too dry)
- 30g fresh milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Yam Paste
- few drops of purple colouring (optional)
- 60 ml. cooking oil
- 160 gm. Top flour } sift together
- ½ tsp baking powder }

Egg White Ingredients
- 7 egg white
- 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 100 gm. Castor Sugar

Method:
(1) Mix the egg yolk and sugar together. Add in yam, coconut milk and fresh milk. Mix till smooth.
(2) Add in salt, yam paste, colouring and then oil. Mix till combined.
(3) Fold in flour and baking powder. Mix till smooth.
(4) Whisk egg white with cream of tartar and gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peak form.
(5) Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk mixture till blended.
(6) Pour into an ungreased 23 - 25 cm. tube pan.
(7) Bake at 165*C for 55-60 mins or until cooked.
(8) Remove from oven, invert onto cooling rack and leave to cool completely before removing from pan.
(9) Decorate as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails