I picked up this recipe from one of the cuisine magazine, in that release, it features a couple of the yogurt desserts to promote healthy lifestyle. Eating a healthy diet is another part of the healthy lifestyle and today, people are more and more conscious about it.
Since yogurt has been known as a healthy food , it's very high in calcium and also a good source of protein, using it as part of the ingredient in the dessert will give better benefit to our health.
Many of the articles claimed that Yogurt beside high in calcium, Vitamin D and many other essential nutrients, it helps regulate the digestive system, and it may even have natural weight-loss properties to help those who consume it regularly lose unwanted pounds. It'll be excellent to use yogurt to substitute double cream or full cream milk in our baking so that we could reduce some of the unwanted calories..
I had never tried mixing chocolate with strawberry for baking before, this was my first time experimenting this and therefore, I was very eager to know how this cake would turn out. However, I am quite disappointed about the outcome as the strawberry and chocolate don't really blend well plus strawberry after cooked doesn't taste well. This is very rich chocolate cake and since I prefer less chocolaty, it's certainly not towards my preference.
If you are a chocolate lover, you may like this recipe but I would suggest you to omit the strawberry.
Strawberry Chocolate Yogurt Cake recipe for sharing:
- 100g butter, 80g chocolate (56% cocoa), 70ml water, 1 tsp rum (optional)
- 2 eggs, 110g brown sugar
- 60g self-raising flour, 60g plain flour, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda }sift together
- 100g plain yoghurt, 60g strawberry (cut into cubes)
- 80g chocolate (56% cocoa), 80g whipping cream
- some strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 160*C, line a 4"*8" loaf pan with grease proof paper
- Melt butter and chocolate under double boiler and stir in water. Mix till smooth and add in rum if desired. Remove.
- Beat egg and sugar till light and fluffy (abt 8 mins). Fold in butter chocolate mixture from step 2 and mix well.
- Fold in portion of dry ingredient (flours, cocoa powder and soda), alternate with yoghurt and then repeat the same till finish both ingredients. Fold in strawberries and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 60 mins or until cooked. Leave to cool.
- Bring whipping cream to boil, add in chocolate and stir till smooth. Leave to cool and chill in freezer for 8-10 mins till thicken (not runny).
- Slice the cake into two layers, spread the bottom layer with chocolate decorgel, and then top with another layer of sponge cake. Spread the remaining decorgel and decor with strawberry and others as desired.