Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mango Layer Cream Cake

My mum-in-law is turning her 70 soon, we intended to give her a birthday celebration. My sis-in-law had purposely flown back from London with her hubby to celebrate her birthday as well. The initial thought was to include her close friends and relatives on top of the family members but her reluctance had led to keep this celebration small. We had finally settled with dinning outside with family members only. 

Since I can bake (although not very expert), I decided to make my mum-in-law a cake. My initial plan was to bake a durian cream cake since durian is her best favourite, however, at 2nd thought, I struck it off this idea since not everyone will appreciate durian especially my brother-in-law who is a Caucasian, he will not be able to endure its distinctive smell/ odour. My next choice would be either strawberry or mango cake and at least, I decided to pick mango since it's a all time favourite fruit, I believe most people will like it.
Somehow, it wasn't my day that day, I flopped a few times during the baking process. Firstly, I over beat the whipping cream, I had to throw it away and redo. Secondly, I was probably overly greedy, I doubled up the amount of cream and mango thinking that this could make the cake more tasty without realizing the fact that the whipping cream wasn't set, it could not hold the volume and kept dripping down from the centre. Fortunately, I was able to salvage the situation by securing it in the loose base pan but I had to chill it in the freezer for at least 15 mins before laying the next layer. The chilling time had taken up a lot of time and by then, I finished icing the whole cake, it was about 5pm. As the dinner would start at 6:15pm and we needed to leave the house by 5:45pm, that meant it left less than an hour to allow the cake to set firmly. I could only keep my fingers crossed hoping everything goes fine.....

Dinner was at Paradise Inn in City Square mall. Overall, the dishes were fine but nothing was really special. After the dinner, it was almost 9pm and time for birthday cake cutting moment. Glad that the cake had set well, it was well-received by everyone. Apart from the hiccups that I encountered, I am very pleased with this bake as it's really yummy!! I certainly will bake again but will definitely remember all the lessons learnt.

Wanting to bake a brithday cake ? This recipe is a good choice to be.  It's the same recipe as my previous recipe just that  I have doubled up the mango filling.

Here you go.. Mango Layered Cream Cake recipe.

Preparation:
-  Prepare a 9" round sponge cake

Ingredients for Mango Filling
- 400g Mango Puree (4tbsp water, 1.3 tbsp sugar, 2/3 tsp cornfour – cook together till thick)
- 19g Gelatin dissolved in 3.8 tbsp boiling water (prevent cream from weeping)
- 700 ml Whipping cream (diary cream)
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1.5-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp (Rum optional)
- 1 Sponge Cake (cut into 3 layers)
- 650g Mango (cut into cubes)
- 200g Top Whipping Cream
- 500g Mango Slice

Method:
1. Cook mango, water and sugar under low heat and stir in cornflour till thicken. Put aside.
2. Dissolve gelatin into boiling water. Put aside.
3. Whip whipping cream and sugar under cold water and beat till 80% stiff or mousse state (abt 2 mins). Take out from cold water.
4. Add vanilla essence and lemon juice (and rum), gelatine solution and mango puree and beat till combine (don’t overbeat). Divide into 7 portions.
5. Put 1 layer of cake onto a loose base cake pan and top it with one portion of mango mousse filling. Add in the mango cubes and top it with another portion mousse to cover the mango cubes. If the mousse are runny, freeze the cake in fridge for 10 mins before laying 2nd layer. Repeat the same for 2nd layer.
6. Cover the whole cake with remaining mango mousse and freeze for 30 mins.
7. Whip top whipping cream, ice the whole cake and line mango slice to cover it. DĂ©cor as desired
8. Chill cake for at least 3 hours before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails