Monday, May 17, 2010

Durian Puffs

Goodwood Park Hotel is very famous for their durian desserts especially the signature Durian Puff and Durian Mousse cake.  I've been wanting to try it but somehow never make an attempt to buy.  I must make time to Goodwood Park Hotel one day for this delicious and premium dessert so as to kill my curiosity.

I made this durian puff for my sis-in-law since it is not easy to have good durian in UK.  Initially, I promised to make her a cake but in view of the time constraint, I decided to make durian puff as it took less time.

I bought two packs of D24 from a fruit stall near my place, it only cost $10. As it's not the durian season now, the durian wasn't very fragrant.  After removing the seeds, there was about 600g of meat left.  It considered very cheap since normally I could make about 25-30 pieces of puffs for 600-650g, if I average out the cost, it derived at 35-40 cents per piece.

The last time I made this durian puffs was probably a year ago.  I remembered this recipe was well received by many people.  Some of the recipes call for raw durian but this recipe I have needs to  cook the durian.  I guess if the durian is very tasty, you could skip cooking part.

As I had not been baking this puff pastry for a while, I couldn't remember all the key steps. Luckily, the recipe with all my little tips scribbed still around and I managed to make it through. All and all, I made about 30 pieces.  I brought all to the restaurant to meet my hubby family as there was a farewell dinner for my sis and bro-in-law.  They were leaving to home after two weeks of stay here.  I was glad that all the puffs had been snapped after dinner.  I actually didn't eat any piece since I didn't have the appetite after baking this.

 
This puff might not be able to compete with Goodwood Park's standard but based on the feedback I received so far, this recipe has never disappointed me.  If you are durian lover, you should try to make this as it's very economical.   Enjoy !!

Durian Puffs Recipe

Durian Paste Ingredients
-    600g Durian fresh
-    ½  tbsp Sugar
-    200ml Diary Whipping Cream (Chilled)
-    1 tbsp Sugar

Method

  1. Cook durian fresh under simmer till cook; add sugar and stir till dissolved.  Rest to cool before mixing with cream.
  2. Whip cream over ice water at medium speed for 30sec – 1min, add  sugar and mix until double in volume (1-1.5 mins)
  3. Add in durian paste and mix until soft peaks form (don’t over mix, less than 1 min).
  4. Refrigerate
Puff Pastry Ingredients
-    50g Butter (melt)
-    60ml water
-    Pinch of salt
-    50g Plain Flour
-    1 ½ Eggs (beaten)

Preparation
-    Baking tray greases with butter and dusk with a layer of flour.  
-    Preheat oven (fan forced) at 200*C for 15 mins.  Baking Time: 20 mins.  

Method
5.    Melt butter.  Combine butter, salt & water in a non-stick saucepan and bring to boil under simmer.
6.    Add in the flour gradually and mix in quickly with a hand whisk.
7.    Off the fire and continue stirring (abt 3 mins) until smooth.  Cool till able to hold the saucepan and add beaten eggs into 2- 3 times. Stir for 3 – 5 mins.  
8.    Spoon or pipe (1 tsp full) the batter onto the baking tray (greased) and bake at 200*C (fan forced) for 10 mins and turn to top and bottom heat and bake for another 5-8 mins till golden brown.

Assemble 

9.    Cut an opening from the puffs and spoon in the durian cream.  Fridge for 1 hrs before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails