Friday, May 21, 2010

Durian Cheese Roll

As if I have a craze over durian lately,  after the durian layered cream cake, durian puffs and now I'm going to bake another durian dessert - i.e. durian cheese roll.  What happens?  Am I crazy ??  Don't worry, the previous bakes weren't intended for my myself and family, I baked for my mum and sis-in-law and in fact, I didn't get to eat a single piece but this time round, it will be for own consumption.

I always have no luck with swiss roll and that's why you don't see me baking it.  Although swiss roll uses the same recipe as sponge cake, I find it hard to manage as you must be able to control the baking time and roll nicely.  A little overbake will cause a dry texture and therefore, you always have to keep an eye on it.
 
I did 3 batches of the sponge cakes for this durian cheese roll using 3 methods.  One with stabilizer and oil, one without stabilizer but with oil, last without stabilizer and oil.  The first two turned out pretty well, soft and spongy but the final one was too dry.  I think it was either over baked or lack of oil.  I personally do not like to use stabilizer, as much as I can, I will like to avoid using any chemical.  Since the 2nd method turned out pretty good, I will recommend to use this for future swiss roll bakes. Out of 3 rolls,  only one roll for own consumption, the rest I gave it to my hubby's colleagues and my neighbor as certainly I don't want my family to grow fat.
 
Looking for a durian dessert after meal but don't want to spend too much time preparing it?  Durian Cheese Roll is one of the perfect choice since it's delicious and easy to make.  Here you go ..the recipe.

Durian Cheese Roll

Ingredients: 
Preparation:  
-    Greased and lined grease proof baking paper onto  12"*12" low tray. Preheat oven at 180*C for 15-20 mins.
  
Durian Filling (for 2 rolls portion)
-    400-500g Durian Fresh (mashed)
-    1 tpsp Sugar (optional)
-    100g Cream cheese
-    100ml Top whipping cream (whipped)
Swiss Roll (Below ingredients are only for one roll portion.  Pls bake another roll)
-    4 eggs (60g each)
-    90g sugar
-    pinch of salt
-    1 tsp vanilla
-    15g oil
-    90g top flour



Method
Durian Filling
1.    Cook durian fresh under simmer till cook; add sugar (optional) and stir till dissolved.  Rest to cool before mixing with cream. (You could skip this step if you like chunky durian)
2.    Beat cream cheese till smooth, add durian puree and mix well.  Put aside.
3.    In another bowl, cream whipping cream till stiff,  add into cream cheese mixture (step 2) and mix well. Chill in fridge for later use.

Swiss Roll
4.    Beat the egg whites until bubbles appear, gradually add in caster sugar and beat at high heat until peak stiff ( abt 3-4 mins)
5.    Add in all the egg yolks, vanilla and salt and then continue to beat until thick batter (another 4-5 mins).
6.    Gently fold (recommend to hand fold) in flour and oil until well combine.
7.    Pour into a baking tray and spread evenly. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes.

Assembly
8.    Lay a baking paper on the table top.  Overturn cake, unmould from baking pan, remove paper and spread a layer of durian filling and fold into roll immediately (when it’s warm).
9.    Chill in fridge for 1 -2  hrs before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails